Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Don't know what you guys do for Veteran's Day

Options

In Canada we have Remembrance Day. We wear poppys for several weeks before The 11th. It was called Armistice day untila after WWII. We observe two minutes of silence for our lost at 11:11 am. I drove my daughter to dance today and was on the road. I pulled over and got the finger from half a dozen people that had to cross the centreline to avoid me. This has been posted before but buddy actually had this happen. God bless our vets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX_3y3u5Uo

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Great post. I noticed that CTV actually paused the Giants and Bengals game at 11:00AM for a moment of silence to honour our veterans and those who gave their lives. The way it should be.

(for our American friends - when a Canadian network (CTV) carries the same program as a US network (FOX), the Cable company is obligated to substitute the Canadian signal for the American signal)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Skiddy, I have never been so put off in my life. What the hell is wrong with people today?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Options
    To me, it seems our Veterans Day is nothing more than a government holiday, and not observed, per se, by the masses.  I think our Memorial Day (in May) is generally reserved for the respect of our wars' dead and is still a somber observance.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Our church recognized the vets in the congregation.  I think a lot about my Dad (sniff!).  God bless you vets!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Fred, I do too. Sucks!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone and @ Little_Steven maybe that's the secret, like us (it would appear) you have to be an "Army" brat to really understand.

@Village_Idiot, for the two years we lived in ChicagoLand, we went to a Cantigny Park with our American neighbours on Memorial day - Although it was a time to enjoy a wonderful place with our families and friends the reason for the day was to honor those who served.   

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I get drunk and pour one out for the homies. After a brief interruption of xmass pics with the family, I'm back at the hunting camp for some solitude and John Dailys.

Edited to add: enjoy some smokeless tabaco. Lots of fighting men enjoy Copenhagen snuff, many only while deployed. It's fitting on Veterans Day and Memorial Day. VI is right though, today isn't a big deal but most hard as nails infantrymen are reduced to tears on Memorial Day.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Cheers Travis. Thank you!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I get drunk and pour one out for the homies. After a brief interruption of xmass pics with the family, I'm back at the hunting camp for some solitude and John Dailys. Edited to add: enjoy some smokeless tabaco. Lots of fighting men enjoy Copenhagen snuff, many only while deployed. It's fitting on Veterans Day and Memorial Day. VI is right though, today isn't a big deal but most hard as nails infantrymen are reduced to tears on Memorial Day.
    Yeah, Copenhagen here.  And I'm really particular about it.
    I wear my poppy through the month of November and have made my way to the cenotaph wherever I've lived to join in the Remembrance Day ceremonies. I feel it is my duty to pay respect to those who served, fallen or not, allowing me my freedom to be who I am today. Yesterday the exception, I took advantage of the great weather and went golfing but honored the time at 11:11. The others in my grouping were a bit put off and after my rebuke there were a few quiet holes that followed. Never forget to remember.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Haven't liked chew since it made me dizzy and vomit!
    Flint, Michigan