Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled pineapple?

Options
Pigasso
Pigasso Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw a post recently about grilled pinapple serves as dessert. Would someone let me know the most simple and flavorful way to do this?[p]Thanks and oinks!

Comments

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Pigasso,
    I was in on the thread a few weeks ago. There are several different methods, but most common was to place the rings, sliced about 3/4 - 1" thick, right on the grid with direct heat. cook for about 2-4 minutes per side, enough to get grill marks. There is plenty of sugar in the pineapple to get a FANTASTIC flavor.[p]Enjoy,
    Banker John

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Pigasso,
    I've been wanting to try for a long time. Please post results if you do. A friend of mine marinates in soy sauce for a couple hours before grilling.
    He swears by them.[p]Mike

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi Pigasso,
    I saw the post a week or so ago & was so impressed with the results that I tried the grilled pinapple on pizza with Canadian bacon(the Dizzy Pig recipe).
    The taste is truely in a class by itself.
    bruce

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    badbruce,
    How did you like the Canadian Bacon recipe? How hard was it to make? Did you find it easy and time consuming, difficult and time consuming, easy and simple, ???[p]I've seen the recipe on Nature Boys website, www.DizzyPig.BBQ.com and have wanted to try it, but was afraid that it would be too difficult and time consuming.[p]Banker John

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Pigasso,
    Matthew:[p]I just do them au naturale and sprinkle the finished product with chili powder and top with a scoop of Blue Bell Vanilla Bean.[p]Simply great![p]Mike

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Pigasso,
    Just on a lark I took a couple of pieces of fresh pineapple and sprinkled LIGHTLY with some habanero pepper powder I for from a natural food store. OH-MY-GOD that could get addictive fast! Really not for the faint hearted though. Going to go in and see if they have any Jalapeno powder for the rest of the crew.

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi Banker John,
    It's very simple & easy. The only problem is locating Morton's Tenerquick. I had to order online. I also use john Ash's
    brined ham recipe from the archives & switch off between the two.
    Excellent taste. Lends itself really well to scrambled eggs in the morning & Sunday pizza.
    Let's not forget smashed chicken roll-ups.
    bruce

• Charcoal Mike
    Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
    Options
    Pigasso,[p]I got this recipe a couple of years ago on the forum. My apologies for not giving credit where due, but I do not remember who gave the initial post. See below for my additional comments:[p]
    Grilled Sugar-Dipped Pineapple
    ==============================[p]Ingredients:[p]• 1 Ripe pineapple
    • 1 Stick of butter, melted
    • 1 Cup Turbinado (or regular) sugar
    • Zest from one large lime
    • 2 tsp Cinnamon
    • ¼ tsp Ground cloves
    • Dark rum (optional)
    • Vanilla ice cream (optional) [p]Preparation Directions:[p]• Preheat BGE to 450-500F (or just leave it there after you do your steaks!).
    • Cut the top and rind off the pineapple and core it. Slice it into discs about 3/8" to ½" thick.
    • Place melted butter (you can melt it on the BGE in a cast iron skillet or on the stove) in a shallow dish. Mix sugar, cinnamon, lime zest and cloves in another dish.
    • Dip each pineapple slice in the butter and give the excess butter a chance to drip off a bit. Next dip the slice in the sugar mixture to coat lightly.[p]Cooking Directions:
    • Grill the slices for about 5 minutes per side or until they are browned or even slightly charred.
    • Remove from the BGE and place on a serving plate. Serve immediately. If you want to, sprinkle the slices with dark rum right after taking them off the BGE and serve with ice cream. [p]Special Instructions:
    • If you really want to show off and have already lost your arm hair from cooking too many steaks, try this: Put about ½ cup of the rum into a small skillet. Warm it for a bit over the (open) top vent of the BGE until it is just warm (look for the very first wisps of "steam" to come from it -- if it is boiling, this won't work!). Hold the rum away from your face and hold a flame over it (the rum, not your face). Use a long match or long butane lighter. The rum should ignite. Pour this over the pineapple and serve immediately (you might want to blow it out just prior to eating it). Note: I will not accept responsibility for lost arm hair, facial hair, or any carpet damage caused by outlandish attempts to show off one's cooking prowess, but I will admit that playing with fire *is* pretty darn fun sometimes.[p]======================[p]Charcoal Mike's Notes:[p]This was the original recipe above. I have probably done these 20 times, and my modified way to do this is to simply melt the stick of butter in a pot on the stove, add the cinnamon, turbinado sugar (never tried regular), and a large squirt of lime juice (no zest) to the same pot. Then stir it up into a sticky gooey delicious mess, and dip the slices and move them to a shallow dish. If you have any mix left over I just dump it on top. Then off to the egg for 5 minutes per side at 450/500 or so. Sometimes the thicker slices get a couple more minutes - I like the pineapple to be really soft, and the thicker slices can take longer. I've never tried the rum idea, but have served these with ice cream before and they are fantastic.

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Pigasso,[p]It's great! Try marinating in coconut milk before grilling.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Pigasso,[p] I posted the recipe Charcoal Mike listed below in the "Submitted Recipes" section of the forum several years ago (look for the link in the header section of the forum home page) after I did this at an Eggfest. You can still find it there along with many other recipes![p]Mike
  • Charcoal Mike
    Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
    Options
    MikeO,[p]Thanks for the update and my apologies for not passing along the credit - I didn't even know it was in the recipes section of the site, as I just keep all the ones I like in separate Word docs on my machine. This is truly a great very easy dish, and goes well as a side dish or as a dessert with ice cream. [p]I still need to do the rum thing. :-)[p]Cheers -[p]Mike