Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Turkey from The Fresh Market

I know there are a thousand forums going on right now about turkeys. I'm looking for the best place to buy an unfrozen turkey that has not already been injected or enhanced with salt, etc. I want to brine it myself. I called The Fresh Market yesterday and they told me theirs are all natural. Has anyone purchased a turkey from there? Is it worth the $2.29/lb? Do any major grocery stores - we have Kroger, Publix, and Walmart - carry unfrozen turkeys that haven't been pre-injected?

I think I'm going to try the amazing ribs recipe for Thanksgiving.

Dawson

Comments

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 4,057
    I haven't tried a bird from the fresh market.  I got a fresh bird from trader joes, but it was pre-brined and it was $1.99 per lb I believe.  My local butcher charges $3.49/lb for a fresh "free range" bird.  I don't think that $2.29 is too bad.  I don't have a fresh market too close to me, but I did stop in there once and get a dessert and it was really good ;).  I have heard good things about FM, so I would give it a shot. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 
  • bodskibodski Posts: 207
    I haven't had FM's turkey, but other meats I've gotten there have been good. My butcher is charging $2.79. Another one nearby is charging 3.19 for fresh Amish turkey.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Gasser, Weber Kettle

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 8,919
    SWMBO bought two turkeys earlier this week.  She used Wal-Fart's price match and got a 13 pound and 17 pound butterball turkeys for $0.99/lb.  They are natural - no hormones, not injectionized or brined.  I'm not crazy about the company because of their recent history, but we'll see shortly how they taste.