Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pizza Practice!!!

So I posted earlier that I am cooking pizza for the high school girls basketball team for my wife. Well tonight was the practice night. We bought some pre-made crust from Kroger and I fired up the egg. Well when I got the temp up there was a lot of smoke. Turns out if you cook a butt and turtle eggs on saturday there is a lot of grease left in the egg. So i had a unplanned clean burn tonight. After the burn, I reloaded and got the temp to 600. Here is the outcome below. You see some char on the outside crust. I had the temp too high i think. Anyone else use pre-made crust? What temp do you go at? I am thinking 450 for the second practice pun on Sunday. Thoughts, comments?  image
·

Comments

• What level are you doing the pies at?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    What's the bottom look like? 

I like a little char on the crust.  You might want to rotate the pizza 180 degrees half way through.

Raise the stone up as high as you can get it.

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,427
    Wow....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,838
    I do my pizzas at 500-550 tops. Takes a little longer but oh well. Also as stated above its always good to rotate a couple times on the stone.
    ·
  • jrog74jrog74 Posts: 29
    Ahh, rotation. Did not do that. 

Sorry i did not take a pic of the bottom, but it was a little on the dark side. 

The stone was above the felt line, but i have gotten it higher before. I used crushed cans this time. I will use bricks next time to get the stone higher. 
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    Oops sorry I should have mentioned that in your other post, I usually check it at 5 or 6 minutes and spin it 90 to 180 degrees? Pizzas look great from the top but a spin and a little lower temp should work great for your party. Good call on a test run!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • Fire bricks are the best solution.  It is what they are made for and they are way cheaper than some fancy stone that is ridiculously priced.  I paid $7 for four nice bricks 2 x 4 x 9 and $12 for 8 bricks that are 1 x 4 x 8.  I can do anything with them and they stay pretty stable for long periods.  I did a 12 pizza cook in July in a little more than 2 hours.  I never went over 550 the whole time and my Egg was so clean the next day.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926

Great looking pie! Haven't tried the Kroger brand, so i can't offer much advice, but it depends on how thick the dough is. I'd try 500-550.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,431
    For a test run that looks pretty good!
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·