Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chipotle season-

Anyone else doing the low&slow for chipotles this time of year...loaded up the LBGE (indirect) with jalapenos and am now 8 hours into the 180-200*F (calibrated dome) cook.  Talk about not worrying about the time and flavor of the outcome-BTW-the practice of lighting at bottom center (one spot) does enable pretty stable temps in the above range. Figure around 12-14 hours total smoke/cook time. All good once finished.
Louisville
·

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 3,037
    Been a huge chipotle fan since 1987, but have never tried making them myself.  Do you can them, freeze them, or...?  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,086

@ Botch-I found a recipe sorta like described above for the cook times (use pecan for the smoke wood) and then once I get them dried I finely chop them up and use as seasoning.  About two LBGE loads (single layer) will get me thru the year-unless I'm overly hyped for the taste. 

I'm in the land of Kentucky Jelly (KY if you missed that go round) and usually plant two to three jala plants / year-the yield is usually enough but I will supplement with those from the local market.  It's the only "cradle to grave" project I do but worth it.

Louisville
    ·