Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Chipotle season-

Anyone else doing the low&slow for chipotles this time of year...loaded up the LBGE (indirect) with jalapenos and am now 8 hours into the 180-200*F (calibrated dome) cook.  Talk about not worrying about the time and flavor of the outcome-BTW-the practice of lighting at bottom center (one spot) does enable pretty stable temps in the above range. Figure around 12-14 hours total smoke/cook time. All good once finished.
Louisville

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 2,490
    Been a huge chipotle fan since 1987, but have never tried making them myself.  Do you can them, freeze them, or...?  

I Know Why The Egged Bird Sings.

Ogden, Utard.  
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,038

@ Botch-I found a recipe sorta like described above for the cook times (use pecan for the smoke wood) and then once I get them dried I finely chop them up and use as seasoning.  About two LBGE loads (single layer) will get me thru the year-unless I'm overly hyped for the taste. 

I'm in the land of Kentucky Jelly (KY if you missed that go round) and usually plant two to three jala plants / year-the yield is usually enough but I will supplement with those from the local market.  It's the only "cradle to grave" project I do but worth it.

Louisville