Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I probably shouldn't be this annoyed about Plano

Drove in for the Plano Eggfest, and was excited about the chance to win an egg. All the advertising I saw online talked about it. Then I saw a sign that said two of the three drawings would be limited to the cooks (1:00 and 3:00). Well, damn. So, made sure I was there for the 2:00 drawing and found out the 2:00 was limited to the cooks as well. Asked the announcer about it and he said only cooks could win the eggs. Maybe this aggravated me more that it should, but the raffle didn't seem to match up with the announcements.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Pretty standard. I look at the raffles as a bonus as the real prize is all the great techniques you can learn from numerous eggheads. Try to enjoy the food and meet some great people!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Damn. Sorry you felt that way about it. I'm not sure how they decide who is eligible for the eggs. My first year, it was cooks only, last year it was everybody (and people complained) and I don't know what it was this year, but I know I didn't win one. Me and Mrs, G both won some stuff. I see it as a chance to meet fellow Eggheads in person, try some food and have a good time in general. Prizes are just a bonuse. I'm gonna apologize in advance of this question, but were you able to stop by tent and visit? Hard to remember when I ended up meeting so many people and got real names and forum names (from both forums) and people who never post but lurk. God, i musta talked to over 200 people today, so if you could refresh my memory. I hope I got to talk to you and spent some time. Its hard when so many people are coming up asking questions and talking and you are trying to cook as well. Did you have a good time otherwise?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Personally had a great time at the Plano Eggfest.  Got to put some faces with posters!  My only suggestion would be for the cooks to have their recipes available in print.  Tasted some really good food.  Didn't win anything, but had some cold beer from the American Legion!

Griffin - really enjoyed the swamp balls!

Will be better prepared next year and bring chairs.  Might even decide to sign up to cook!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Griffin
    @Scott805 - suggestion noted. Swamp balls are on my site, pizza will be next week, no recipe for chili. It was tweaked all day long till we were happy with it. Next year, I'll try and print recipes.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    And do cook next year. It's a ton of fun.

Rowlett, Texas

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    I'm still cruising away happy. Cursed the gods and kept going! I've got a large egg in the back - it didn't even get used! Wife's picking up treats at Paradise Bakery at then we head out. Had a good time

Griffith. - I stopped by your spot a few times - big guy in a brown shirt - when you were doing breakfast.
    I'll just ha e to learn enough to come back next year and cook!

Have a good weekend all!
  • So Griffin, maybe I missed it but eat did you end up cooking? I know you had something special to reveal in Plano.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • LDR said:
    Drove in for the Plano Eggfest, and was excited about the chance to win an egg. All the advertising I saw online talked about it. Then I saw a sign that said two of the three drawings would be limited to the cooks (1:00 and 3:00). Well, damn. So, made sure I was there for the 2:00 drawing and found out the 2:00 was limited to the cooks as well. Asked the announcer about it and he said only cooks could win the eggs. Maybe this aggravated me more that it should, but the raffle didn't seem to match up with the announcements.
    So a cook spends two or three hundred or more of his/her money to give away for no other reason than wanting to share their cooks and you are pissed that you didn't get in on the drawing. How was the food? Your admission didn't go to the cooks.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• My first Eggfest: winning one of the three BGE door prizes would have been a treat, but as a prospective BGE buyer, it was a great event regardless to get perspectives in person / thanks to Mr. & Mrs Hornhonk for their effort to put it on.

I really appreciated all the Egghead cooks who were so generous with their time to answer all my questions about ownership (especially @Lake Conroe Egger, @loco_engr, Ron L., @Popsicle, Dan. G. and others) --- not to mention the amazing samples they turned out and kindly shared, to show the power of the BGE! (my shirt still has the sweet smoky smell from Frank C.'s sublime lamb chops!)

I hope to soon take advantage of the EPP that I mentioned; looking forward to joining the cult of the Egg!
  • @JarrettTX Welcome to the forum Jarrett!  Make yourself at home.
    Flint, Michigan
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    LDR said:
    So a cook spends two or three hundred or more of his/her money to give away for no other reason than wanting to share their cooks and you are pissed that you didn't get in on the drawing. How was the food? Your admission didn't go to the cooks.
    He didn't say that the cooks didn't deserve to be in the raffle (which they obviously do). He said he didn't feel like he got what was advertised.  He probably also didn't realize that the cooks have to put up that much money.  No reason to thump him IMO.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • newegg13 said:
    LDR said:
    He didn't say that the cooks didn't deserve to be in the raffle (which they obviously do). He said he didn't feel like he got what was advertised.  He probably also didn't realize that the cooks have to put up that much money.  No reason to thump him IMO.

steven is cranky tonight. It's snowing like a bear North of Toronto so we should give him a break. Or not. He obviously has no idea what happens at an eggfest in TX when he lives off of pelt trading and reconditioning snow machine parts (when he is not selling himself into sin to indigenous peoples on seal hunts) .
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Newegg13 just likes to argue. He does it for a living. He once tried to convince me that he could do a longer keg stand than I could.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    nice to see everyone again, perfect size fest to mingle and be mingled..........lol

Jason, thanks for the drink, much appreciated.   

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • LDR said:

LDR

I apologise for misunderstanding the intent of your post and my response. Alcohol may have been a factor

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LDR said:

LDR

I apologise for misunderstanding the intent of your post and my response. Alcohol may have been a factor

Steve

Then I also appologize for saying you recondition snow machine parts. That was out of line.
  • Saying booze was involved is like saying howdy doody has wooden balls.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Hey all - starting a different thread - photos of fun at Plano
  • I appreciate that CT. It's just this waiting for the ice to form so I can go and club some baby seals that makes me cranky. Sorry

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

I appreciate that CT. It's just this waiting for the ice to form so I can go and club some baby seals that makes me cranky. Sorry
    Hey, that reminds me of a joke (if I may indulge).

So, a baby seal walks into a club....

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LDR said:
    Speaking as a winner of one of the eggs, I can vouch that I did not cook. I had a number of errands for Saturday so I checked the website on Friday, saw they had drawings at 1:00, 2:00 and 3:00 and although I got there early, I made it a point to stick around till 1:00 where I won. So, I can't say anything about the later drawings. 

I enjoyed the eggfest very much. I thought the cookie dough stuffed jalapeno wrapped in bacon was the most original idea. Maybe next year I'll drag my new eff down there and cook :-)

• newegg13
    Newegg13 just likes to argue. He does it for a living. He once tried to convince me that he could do a longer keg stand than I could.
    Guilty on both counts.  I can't remember who won that contest, so I guess we both won.

On a serious note, I am a big fan of the good humor.  Cheers.  

• newegg13
    Saying booze was involved is like saying howdy doody has wooden balls.
    This one is quotable.  I may or may not give you credit when I repeat it.   >:)
  • Saying booze was involved is like saying howdy doody has wooden balls.

That would explain the hangover and the splinters. Mystery solved.
  • newegg13
    Saying booze was involved is like saying howdy doody has wooden balls.
    That would explain the hangover and the splinters. Mystery solved.
    Bahahaha!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I hope those weren't "mouth-splinters". :D
    LDR said:
    Hornhonk here. You are wrong. Please get your facts straight. We gave away three eggs, a medium and two smalls. I guess you showed up late. The medium was won by a guest.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm just disappointed I couldn't be there. Waiting on Salado....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    I'm just disappointed I couldn't be there. Waiting on Salado....
    Don't count on Salado.  I sent Mickey a sawbuck because he said that would guarantee me a mini.  I think his cousin won the mini instead.   ~X(

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious