Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Ragu's Smoked and Crispy Chicken Wings

I love grilled wings but have always been dissapointed when i get them out in the street and the skin is wet under the char.  I experimented with a few preparations and finally knocked it out of the park with this one.  The secret is an indirect smoking period and then a finish over direct heat.  You end up with a crispy skin and a subtle moist smoke flavor in the meat.

20 Whole wings not separated

argentinian salt

pepper

favorite chicken freindly rub (i prefer webber kik-in chicken it has some nice heat)

favorite chicken friendly wood chips or chunks (i typically use pecan or fruit woods)

Preparation:

Set egg up indirect at 300F.  Wash, pat dry, lightly salt, and pepper whole wings.  Place on egg with soaked chips for approx 60-90 min, turning once or twice.  Carefully remove smoked wings and plate setter and resume cooking 20 min (or until skin is almost black) on direct heat 350-400F, turning frequently and watching  closely for hot spots.  Place wings in large bowl with a tblsp of rub, cover with lid or foil and shake to coat. You can also serve these wet by substituting your favorite BBQ or Hot Wing sauce for the rub.  I have enjoyed them both ways but if you like crispy chicken wings the dry rub will keep them crispy (almost as if they came out of a fryer).