Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Big Ragu's Smoked and Crispy Chicken Wings

I love grilled wings but have always been dissapointed when i get them out in the street and the skin is wet under the char.  I experimented with a few preparations and finally knocked it out of the park with this one.  The secret is an indirect smoking period and then a finish over direct heat.  You end up with a crispy skin and a subtle moist smoke flavor in the meat.

20 Whole wings not separated

argentinian salt

pepper

favorite chicken freindly rub (i prefer webber kik-in chicken it has some nice heat)

favorite chicken friendly wood chips or chunks (i typically use pecan or fruit woods)

Preparation:

Set egg up indirect at 300F.  Wash, pat dry, lightly salt, and pepper whole wings.  Place on egg with soaked chips for approx 60-90 min, turning once or twice.  Carefully remove smoked wings and plate setter and resume cooking 20 min (or until skin is almost black) on direct heat 350-400F, turning frequently and watching  closely for hot spots.  Place wings in large bowl with a tblsp of rub, cover with lid or foil and shake to coat. You can also serve these wet by substituting your favorite BBQ or Hot Wing sauce for the rub.  I have enjoyed them both ways but if you like crispy chicken wings the dry rub will keep them crispy (almost as if they came out of a fryer).