Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

No Fry / Fried Chicken

RACRAC Posts: 1,497

This is my 1st post and just wanted to thank everyone who contributes to this forum. I have learned so much just looking at all the posts. I picked up my LBGE the first part of September and put it to use right away. I think I have cooked all but one meal on it. My wife came home yesterday and told me I have a problem / obsession with the egg but she doesn’t mind too much she loves the food cooked on it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Anyway here is my cook from last night. No fry fried chicken. Man was this good. This is how I did it.

Package of Louisiana Chicken Fry mix

Chicken Legs

Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom

Dusted legs with the Swamp Venom

Mix 5 Tbsp. of Chicken Fry in ½ cup of water. Dip chicken in batter.

Roll chicken in dry Chicken Fry until coated.

Cook indirect at 450 for about 45 minutes or about 185 internal. I did turn them about ½ into the cook.

If you like fried chicken like I do, I think you will enjoy these.

Ricky

Spring TX

Hope the pictures attach.

Ricky

Spring, TX

·

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,588
    Looks good..great idea
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,890
    Very cool.  Sort of like Shake n Bake for the egg!  Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing the recipe. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • cspearce2cspearce2 Posts: 107
    Very nice. Welcome to the club!
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,878
    Nice looking meal.   I like to take the chicken pieces and layer them between paper towels to dry the bird and place in frig over night if time allows and then do a shake 'n bake like you . The dry meat tends to get crispy around 375-400 indirect for 45 minutes or so.
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,497

Thanks for the comments. Yes this is very crispy. I cooked about twice as much but by the time I got the camera that's all that was left.

I forgot to add that I let it sit for 30 minute after the batter/mix is on. Not sure how to or if you can edit a post.

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,878
    Next time you want to edit a post look in the right hand corner for a gear wheel, click on it. You have 60 minutes from the original post to edit.It will tell you the time remaining.
    ·
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 416
    Looks great.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
    ·
  • LoggerLogger Posts: 236
    edited October 2012
    I'm gonna try this one.  Thanks for posting.
    And, thanks Richard for that tip on editing.
    OKC area  XL - Medium
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,497
    Thanks Richard Fl for the tip on editing. That will help next time.

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Welcome.  Great idea.  I'll try this one for sure.