Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is my gasket fried?

Options
Hello everyone.

I'm thinking I may have fried my gasket.   I'm attaching some photos.

I've only had my egg about 6 weeks.  I first noticed it after I cooked pizza the first time, using the plate-setter with legs turned down, and my pizza stone.  I was cooking at around 500-550.  It got worse the second time I did pizza.   Prior to the gasket getting in this condition, I had only used the egg for low-and-slow smoking, and twice for pizza.  I've done a couple of hi-temp steak cooks since.

Do I need to look at replacing the gasket, and if so, what am I doing wrong so I don't repeat the problem?

Also, as you can (hopefully) see in the last photo, the top and bottom of my egg don't sit perfectly squarely.  I loosened the top band, recentered it, and retightened the band, and it's still off by a 1/8".   Is this normal, or should I be concerned?

Many Thanks!
TxkBaldLaw

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Looks OK to me. Get some firebricks and raise the platesetter above the felt line. Don't have to be firebricks truth be told. Your pies will be better too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    edited October 2012
    Options
    No, it's not "fried" yet - but it probably will be eventually - the problem with doing pizza with plate setter legs down is that it puts the most extreme heat right at the gasket line - I've been doing pizza with legs up - grate on legs - pizza stone raised either by bricks or the feet that came with the BGE on top of the grate, which does a couple of things - you want to get the pizza as high in the egg as possible so that the crust doesn't burn before the toppings are done - also it gets the highest heat above the gasket line and doesn't affect the gasket as much so it lasts longer

BTW - you'll know that your gasket is "fried", i.e. not doing what it's designed to do, when you smoke something and the smoke is escaping from the area where the gasket is - as long as the smoke isn't coming out there, you're fine
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    I fried my gasket on my 3 week old large egg cooking a first time pizza just like little Steven said. I had my plate setter with legs down and my pizza stone and the flame just destroyed my gasket. (600 degrees) . Good thing is I called BGE and talked to a guy named Bruce in the warranty dept. and he sent me a new high temp. Gasket to me for free, without hesitation.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • txkbaldlaw
    Options
    Thanks guys!  I appreciate it!

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Not yet but a couple of more cooks with the plate setter legs down and it will be.  If you don't have a Woo or fire bricks beer cans will work. Cooking high in the dome works for other foods too. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx