Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St Louis

Options
I've never smoked St Louis style ribs. Thinking of doing some Sunday. Opinions please?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Little less meat than back ribs, IMHO, but the process can be the same as back ribs. SWMBO prefers sauce over dry ribs, so we do them all with sauce in the 3-2-1 fashion. (which for St Louis is usually more like a 2-1-1). Grid temp 225-275. Two hours for the smoke, two hours in foil with some apple juice/water, 1/2 hour to 1 hour with her favorite BBQ sauce. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I prefer a dry style rib. So I do them dome 250, raised, indirect, usually at least 5 hours, no foiling. Sometimes I find ribs that are a little lighter than average, and they will finish in 4. Likewise, if the heat is higher, say 275 - 290, they will be done more quickly. And if they are going slowly at hour 4, I raise the temperature.

I glance at them at hours 3 & 4. By hour 4, I often find that the bone ends are well exposed, and the meat pretty soft. If so, I go back at 4.5 hours, and give them a light brushing of oil, and a dusting of more rub. At that point, they should be very close to passing the bend test. If they are still tough, I come back again in 15 min, and brush them very lightly w. water, and continue that till the slab is just about to break apart under its own weight.

I do serve w.warmed sauce on the side.
  • JwgreDeux
    JwgreDeux Posts: 139
    Options
    I like St. Louis style.  Most comp cooks do them that way.  I will trim my spares St Louis style and cook the trimmed pieces along with the ribs.  Trimmed pieces will be done much soon and are a great snack for the cook.

No foil for me, I use a dry rub and sauce the last 30 min to get a nice glaze.

I'm fairly new to ribs, but they have been coming out great.  I used both the bend test and toothpick test for done-ness, mine usually run about 4.5 hours at 275 raised indirect.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I do St. Louis every time. My favorite. 250-275. I don't trim them unless I'm feeding others just for ease of eating. 3-4 hours with just rub, no mustard, then I foil them with a brown sugar, butter, apple juice mixture for last hour. They are still pretty dry after that and always tender and juicy.

I wanna do some baby backs one day but always buy St. Louis.

XLBGE 
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I do spare ribs about half of the time and when I do spares, I like to trim them St Louis style.

I made a quick video on how to trim them in this post:  http://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/09/how-to-trim-st-louis-style-spare-ribs.html

I cook my St. Louis style very similar to loin back ribs, maybe 30-45 minutes longer.  250f, hickory and cherry, smoke about 5 hours.  I'll foil them with brown sugar, butter, tiger sauce if I am in a hurry.  If not, I don't bother with foil.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I have always used a similar method as Skiddy and MrCookingNurse for baby backs.  I usually do 3 hours in smoke, 90 minutes foil, then a 30 minute finish out of the foil at 275 dome temp.  However, I think spares have more fat so when I tried this they were a little too fall-aparty.  Last time I tried them as gdenby suggested- rub em and smoke em until they are done!  I did apply a few layers of sauce the last 20 minutes or so.  That is my new go-to way for spares. 

Nothing wrong with the foil method, but if you do try it I would keep it short (hour or less). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If its a spare rib...why cut it? I've never tried cooking ribs direct. Interesting.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    Nice video Nibble.
    LBGE