Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Steak Knives

JeffMJeffM Posts: 100
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to get a nice set of steak knives.  Where to start?

Comments

• esddesdd Posts: 44
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,453
    Remember you are cutting on a plate and not a cutting board, so serated is better than straight edge. I'm a Wustof fan, however most of the steaks I cook on the Egg need only a fork, or at most a butter knife to cut. Shun also makes some nice steak knives, and if money is no object, check out William Henry Knives out of Oregon.
    edited October 2012
    Tjcoley money is no object for me. I don't happen to have any
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• FockerFocker Posts: 2,376
    edited October 2012

Not necessarily

Picked up a nice Shun 4 piece SS nonserrated steak knife set with box for $150 on woot several years ago.  Plates are acacia wood. 

More of a wow factor than anything, guests appreciate using Japanese steel when introduced.  And I can easily bring them back to sharper than new with Chosera stones on the Apex.

On a regular plate, it's a waste, Chicago Cutlery would suffice.

017.JPG 2.3M
    019.JPG 2.4M
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "We say grace, and we say ma'am.  If you ain't into that, we don't give a damn."  Bocephus
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 18,069
    @Focker - gotta love woot!

We have a Wustof set that's nice - full tang, holds an edge well, reasonable price.  Shun is definitely more blingy.

Keeping your knives sharp, regardless of what brand, is the most impressive feature of any steak knife.