Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie needing some advice

jessigene
jessigene Posts: 2
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I got the Large Egg about 2 months ago and am already in LOVE!  Have successfully made pizza, steak, veggies, a couple of casserole-y type things, etc...  Yesterday, I was really excited to slow cook ribs.  I noticed that the egg was REALLY slow to heat up, but I got it to the temp I wanted.  I threw the ribs on and the temp dropped drastically and I couldn't get it to come back up.  I cleaned out the ash, thinking it was blocking air flow, but still nothing...  The only noticeable difference was that I used a different brand of charcoal - I used the Cowboy brand.  Any of you experienced Eggheads have some advice or ideas?  Words of wisdom appreciated.  Thanks!

Comments

• I use a bent skewer to clean the holes in the grate from underneath. Never had a problem with Cowboy not getting hot. How are you lighting the fire? Using a chimney, if the lump is not burning strongly, it may take a while to light the rest of the lump.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Thanks Bob. I have the electric lighter.  Also, Cowboy seems to have much bigger lumps, so I broke them up into smaller pieces.