Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Bacon experts need an opinion

SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 1,768
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Decided to take on making bacon and located some pork belly today. Bought a slab which may not be the best thing since I noticed the thickness tapers off quite a bit, but on to the question. I was following a recipe and decided at the last minute I would substitute pickling / canning salt for kosher salt since I had a huge box and a quick internet search said they were interchangable.
Now that the 7.5lbs are done and wrapped it occured to me that this may not be the case. That the canning salt in tbsp measurement may surpass the kosher in total weight. I followed the measurements posted since I dont currently own a digital scale.

So am I ok in that it will still turn out, but may have too much or too little salt?
Used the sugar, salt, pinksalt for the cure.

Thanks.
Seattle, WA

Comments

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 3,945
    I make pickles and pickled onions a fair amount, and interchange kosher and pickling salt all the time, depending on availability.  As far as I can tell the only difference is coarseness.   Interested in other responses.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,296
    Pickling salt contains no additives and is a fine grain so it will dissolve easily in brine. Kosher salt is also without additives but the grain is often coarser. They are interchangeable with one difference: the grain size will make a difference in how much salt you'll actually get in a volume measure. i.e. a tablespoon of a fine grained salt will contain more salt than a tablespoon of a coarse grained salt. That's because the coarse grains will have more air spaces between the grains and therefore less salt in the spoon. Finer grains pack closer together. If you measure by weight, there will be no difference. Quoted from the Internet. Also, I have found that different brands of salt will have a different saltiness to them.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,554
    Pickling, canning, kosher salt is all the same - devoid of iodine.  Pure salt.  Fine to substitute - but do all salt measurements by weight - volume is different. The pink salt is a critical measurement - it's a poison that kills botulism at low levels that shouldn't be exceeded.  Don't worry about the meat thickness, just measure out the amount for the total weight and make sure it's well distributed and you'll be fine.