Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Hog

Options
easttexasaggie04
easttexasaggie04 Posts: 108
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Buddy of mine shot a 60# wild hog and wants me to smoke it for him. I'd like to give it a try. Can I smoke the shoulder like you would a regular pork butt?

Any tips?? Never tried this before.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Yes but it will be much drier. I've had great success with grilling direct (not on an egg)

Maybe cover in bacon and smoke or braise it. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • easttexasaggie04
    Options
    Would wrapping in foil help keep it moist?
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I do wild pig a lot. The one above (brown) I did whole on the egg. The black one I did the shoulder. I did one that after cleaned was about 130# on buddies indirect cooker. I have not had issue with dryness but I follow the temp and the one above (about 12# cleaned if I remember) I rubbed down with salt the night prior. I love wild hog.
    Boom
  • easttexasaggie04
    Options
    Does it end up like pulled pork? At what temp did you cook it and what temp did you pull it off?
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Does it end up like pulled pork? At what temp did you cook it and what temp did you pull it off?

if you ate it at my house you would not know it wasn't store bought. I do it roughly 270ish until about 190-195. FTC for a bit then pull. In my opinion pulling the whole pig is a lot more work. Bc so many little crevices with meat. So parts are def drier than others. But some parts are very tender. Most break about even. I honestly am not skilled enough to tell much diff by time it's rubbed, smoked, and has some vinegar/apple juice on it from a store bought shoulder. But I get wild pig at next to no cost (about $25 for cleaning) so I shoot them whenever I can. Largest I killed was pushing 400lbs. We did that on one of the grills you see that are attached to an utility trailer. I eat a lot of wild game tho in general from rabbit, squirrels, deer, gator, etc. if I'm allowed to kill it in SC or GA I'll generally do so.
    Boom