Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How big a turkey for

timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 151
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
15 people?  I have been tasked with cooking this years Thanksgiving turkey.  Never having cooked a turkey, I have no idea how big of one I need to feed 15 people.  I was actually considering two smaller turkeys vs. one large.  Is there an average cooking time for turkey?  How big a turkey(or turkeys) can I cook on my large BGE at one time?  With so many people my wife will not let me go exotic with spices or rubs.  Just a plain old lightly spiced turkey on the grill.  I am going to sneak some apple wood in there though.  I plan a test run on a smaller turkey in the near future.  Thanks for the advice.
Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
·

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    Biggest I've done is 24 pounds on a large. Don't think you could go a lot bigger.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,418
    Spatchcock 13 lbs direct raised at 400 about 90 min. Just do 2.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,819
    Darn you, Mickey! :ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,122
    i always do a traditional stuffed bird in the oven and a lightly smoked one per the madmax directions with some twists in the egg. when you do the practice bird freeze any leftover gravey for tday
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,423
    I've always fried one and smoked a in my off set. I'm going to spatchcock one and hickory smoke a breast in the egg this year. Would love to have enough drippings for the gravy...we'll see.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 575

doing one in the egg and one in the deep fryer sounds like an idea for this year

i have used  my deep fryer once - always sounds like a great idea until it is time to buy the oil and set it up.  ireally want to do a crawfish boil with it.

·
    The best part is the skin. But the last 2 years everyone likes the smoked breast better. We do a boil with shrimp added. Wife doesn't like mudbugs.
    ·
    Sorry...got off subject. My fried 12 lb and smoked 8 breast are plenty for around that number. My wife also does a small ham.
    ·
  • timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for all the input.  I think I will do 2 turkeys.  2 more drumsticks for people to fight over.  Question now is direct vs indirect?  I have a Woo2.  Raised direct vs. indirect.  I saw Mickey's suggestion and may give that one a try on my 1st test turkey.  I better buy some good scissors.  I am curious as to how others are Egging their turkeys though.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
    ·
  • DonWWDonWW Posts: 260
    XLBalco said:

doing one in the egg and one in the deep fryer sounds like an idea for this year

+1.  We have done this the past few years.  While I hate to recommend a method other than BGE, fried turkey is off the hook delicious.  Injected with a nice cajun marinade. 
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
    ·
  • I wish I could host like a "guys" Thanksgiving, where we have smoked holiday ham and eggs for breakfast and  Turkey legs, beer, etc during day and watch football and play drinking games
    ·
    I'm there...
    ·
  • me too!

Amazingribs.com has some good tips.  depends on what other meats are there and how long the shindig will last

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,418
    timekpr1 said:
    Thanks for all the input.  I think I will do 2 turkeys.  2 more drumsticks for people to fight over.  Question now is direct vs indirect?  I have a Woo2.  Raised direct vs. indirect.  I saw Mickey's suggestion and may give that one a try on my 1st test turkey.  I better buy some good scissors.  I am curious as to how others are Egging their turkeys though.

I always buy extra legs to cook beside the bird.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • I took Mickey's suggestion last week And cooked my turkey direct around 375 - 400 degrees. It was 13 pounds and cooked to 160 degrees in 1 hour 45 min. Also i spatchcocked it. Turned out very moist.
    ·
  • @ Mickey, good idea on extra legs.   Always good to have extra in hand so you don't have to split them.

Where do you get your legs?
    ·