Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Timing for turbo butts

JwgreDeuxJwgreDeux Posts: 139
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to attempt my first turbo butts this weekend and I'm trying to figure out the timing.  Going to do two 7 pounders, one pulled one sliced.  Dome temp of 325-350, planning on going to internal temp of 165 for sliced and 195 for pulled.  Going to wrap the butt for pulled at 160-165.  I've read for turbo you are looking at about an hour per pound for pulled, that sound about right?
·

Comments

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,554
    Yes. Maybe a little more. I would allow for a little wiggle room.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,083
    The one time I did a turbo...one hr/pound.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • JwgreDeuxJwgreDeux Posts: 139
    I was hoping to pull it off in five hours, I think the butt that will be sliced will be done, but not sure about the other.  May have to make other plans.
    ·
  • CullumCullum Posts: 214
    I've done several around the 7 lb. mark and they have all taken about 4 hours.
    ·

Cullum said:
    I've done several around the 7 lb. mark and they have all taken about 4 hours.
    does the process and temps Iook about right. 
    ·
    Here we go, on at 2:15. Shooting fire under five hours.
    ·
    I did pulled pork on all mine. Cooked at 350 grate, pulled at 160 internal and double wrapped with foil, put back on till internal reached 195. I then rewrapped in fresh foil, wrapped in towel and put in cooler for an hour, even up to 6 hours one time. Always turns out great. 
    ·
    Let us know how it turns out!
    ·
    I only had 5 hours to work with, so I went sliced and it was great. Took right at 4:45.
    ·