Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Flat Iron Steak and Some Veggies

GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,650
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Did a simple quick cook last night. Flat iron steaks are one of Mrs. G's favorites so I picked one up the other day. Flavorful cut of beef and not real fatty like a ribeye. She made some kind of quick marinade for it. Think it had worsey sauce, salt and pepper, garlic powder, maybe onion powder (not sure on that) and a bit of chipotle powder. Think that might have been it. I wasn't paying attention as I was slicind up a squash and a zuke. These went into a zip lock bag with some Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and some red pepper. Like I said, quick and simple.

Been feeling a little sorry for the Large Egg. It's gotten a bit neglected this week, so I fired it up and got it to 500F

Somehow didn't get any pics of the veggies or the steak cooking, but the steak went about 10 minutes I think, veggies a bit less.

Gotta have the sliced shot.

Lately, when I eat beef that's got a lot of pink to it, my stomach doesn't feel that great, so I gave Mrs. G the thick end as she likes hers pink and I took the more done thin end.

I'm not an expert by far, but I think this qualifies as a healthy meal, right? Came out real good. Nothing fancy, just some plain, simple, flavorful food. We were pleased with the results.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,820
    Lookin great as always Griff!  I'm certainly no nutritionist...but I think that is a very healthy meal.  I really enjoy flat iron steak as well.  I tried my first one not too long ago and I couldn't believe I fed my family of 5 steak for about 11 bucks with leftovers!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 5,545
    After doing nothing but mainly pork dishes on the Egg since I got it, I'm a strong believer that steak/beef is perfect on the egg.
    The Tri-tip I did this weekend has got me wanting to egg beef all the time.  Gonna do my first brisket cook the weekend of the 27th.  Wish me luck.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• henapplehenapple Posts: 15,983
    The flat iron seems to be an unknown meat. I prefer it to many cuts. Great fajitas. I marinade in allegro.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,820
    Tri-tip is next on my list of beef exploration!  

If you can find hanger steak- it is really good as well.  It reminds me of flat iron, but it is "beefier".

Here is an out of focus iphone pic ;)  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 5,545
    Looks good!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio