Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fantastic fajitas !!!

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I made the best fajitas I've ever made last night.  Still tweaking the marinade, but I'm on to it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Man those look good. I bet that is some of your best work yet. The lighting is just outstanding. And the plating - wow. I had the Cooking Light people in yesterday and I cooked these Mahi-Mahi. They did all the pictures. They are pros and did not get your lighting. But check out that third pic.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Those are beautiful pics, Mickey.  But, I don't give a rats a$$ about pictures, and your bullying me and trying to intimidate will get you nowhere.   [-X

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Just stop yelling please. Stop yelling and stop calling my home phone and hanging up as well. Oh, was that a shadowbox in the last pic.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Options
    That wasn't me calling.  It was Travis.  He wants to trade your Mahi Mahi for some mullets.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    Options
    My apologies.  In a previous thread, someone said they wanted to be told a story with each cook.  So here goes.

About an hour before the cook, I put the flap steak in my secret (soon to be public) marinade.
    I cleaned out the ashes on my Large, then loaded it up with Royal Oak Charcoal.
    I then poured about a quarter cup of 91% Isopropyl alcohol I had bought from Walmart.  I really don't like Walmart because they buy so many things from China.  I think our trade imbalance with China may be our ultimate downfall.
    ..... but I digress.  Back to the cook.
    *Poof*.  I started the fire.
    For the next 10 minutes or so, I looked for the hummingbird I had seen a few days before.  I didn't see him.  Perhaps, he's already flown to the Caribbean for winter.  Thinking of that, I started daydreaming about our Caribbean trips we used to take for scuba diving.
    When the fire got to about 400 degrees, I put on the flap steak.  I like flap steak better than skirt steak, and a whole lot better than flank steak.  I do like flank steak on Asian stir fry, like Mongolian Beef, Peppersteak, etc.
    About then, my SWMBO (I like to call her Mrs. W.) called from the kitchen, asking me when she should put on the onions and bell peppers.  I said "Anytime, Smoochkins.  These should be done in 6 minutes, 43 seconds, more or less"
    I was right.  In 6 minutes, 43 seconds, I took the fajita meat to the dining room, and we gorged ourselves with fajitas and Dom Perignon and truffles for dessert.
    After that, we sat on the sofa, holding hands, and watched reruns of The Gong Show until it was time to retire.

End of story. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    ...and they lived happily ever after.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Where was this last night when Ineeded a bedtime story?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Which rub did you use? Fajita-ish?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    My apologies.  In a previous thread, someone said they wanted to be told a story with each cook.  So here goes.

About an hour before the cook, I put the flap steak in my secret (soon to be public) marinade.
    I cleaned out the ashes on my Large, then loaded it up with Royal Oak Charcoal.
    I then poured about a quarter cup of 91% Isopropyl alcohol I had bought from Walmart.  I really don't like Walmart because they buy so many things from China.  I think our trade imbalance with China may be our ultimate downfall.
    *Poof*.  I started the fire.
    For the next 10 minutes or so, I looked for the hummingbird I had seen a few days before.  I didn't see him.  Perhaps, he's already flown to the Caribbean for winter.  Thinking of that, I started daydreaming about our Caribbean trips we used to take for scuba diving.
    When the fire got to about 400 degrees, I put on the flap steak.  I like flap steak better than skirt steak, and a whole lot better than flank steak.  I do like flank steak on Asian stir fry, like Mongolian Beef, Peppersteak, etc.
    About then, my SWMBO (I like to call her Mrs. W.) called from the kitchen, asking me when she should put on the onions and bell peppers.  I said "Anytime, Smoochkins.  These should be done in 6 minutes, 43 seconds, more or less"
    I was right.  In 6 minutes, 43 seconds, I took the fajita meat to the dining room, and we gorged ourselves with fajitas and Dom Perignon and truffles for dessert.
    After that, we sat on the sofa, holding hands, and watched reruns of The Gong Show until it was time to retire.

End of story. 

this should go down as a forum classic.....awesome stuff VI...thanks! =))