Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

jack daniels whiskey barrel charcoal briquettes and smoker blocks

FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 2,018
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried these? I know briquettes are rarely used on the Egg bc of ash but I'd just use this one time. It was on sale for $5 at local store. Any opinion? Should I skip using on Egg and use a buddies Weber? Since briquettes do I need to let them ash over or can I cook thru like lump?
Boom

Comments

• The wood is awesome. I have not used the briquettes

Keeping it Weird in the ATX
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,431
    edited October 2012
    Keep the bag sealed after opening on the wood. They are very good.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,742
    The Tobasco chips are amazing too. They start with JD barrels and use them for 10 batches and then use them for chips. Least that's what I was told on Avery Island

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 2,018
    This is what it looks like. Pics from Internet as I have not opened yet. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Boom
  • BTW- Briquettes are not bad for your egg unless they are match lite or something like that. They just aren't as good a fuel as lump. You can use them in your egg with no problems at all. Just never use fluid to light them
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 22,726
    The Tobasco chips are amazing too. They start with JD barrels and use them for 10 batches and then use them for chips. Least that's what I was told on Avery Island
    Avery Island is very cool.  That giant bamboo was spectacular.  I believe the island is a salt dome.

I wouldn't use briquettes for an overnight although they say the extruded coconut ones don't produce much ash.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I wouldn't use briquettes for an overnight although they say the extruded coconut ones don't produce much ash.
    yeah, I don't think they would last for an overnighter and they might ash everything up. Hurts me to say this, but good point
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    How do you tink I know dees mister?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

If you have a stoker you won't have any problems with an over-nighter burning briquettes, except the next day when you're emptying out 2 gallons of ash.

Oh contraire. May have been the brand but I was scooping ash out in the middle of the night with a guru

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 2,018
    edited October 2012
    I won't use for an overnight. Maybe few rounds of wings or a 4-5# butt. I just figured for $5 it would be worth buying.
    Boom
    I poured a 10 pound bag in and it was still going in the morning with the DigiQ DX2 and a high Que grate.  Might of just been lucky.

edited October 2012
    This was an extperience I had in St. Lou. Buddy didn't get any lump and I was giving him my digi q. Got home from the bar around two and the digi was running full blast and the temp was down. I think you would end up with some ash on yer butt or whatever anyway. Bet the high q made the difference. Gotta get me some of those

Steve 

Caledon, ON