Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What a Ham!

gabrieggergabriegger Posts: 433
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Decided to smoke a fresh ham for the family get together.  Used Egret's Ham recipe adding the glaze from 40 Creek Double Smoked Ham.  Squeezed 22.73 pounds on the LBGE, smoked at 250 for 7 hours.  "Why a ham that size for ten eaters?" I asked the Gaber.  "Just in case someone wanted another slice!"
I love my Italian lady's perspective on portioning.  Supplied six other families with hunks of ham for the next 3 days!

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,805
    It looks like a giant grenade.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,272
    I like the cubing.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,267
    Looks good
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,383
    looks great how'd it taste ?
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • It looks like a giant grenade.

:))  I'd be more afraid of the soldier that could toss it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • Tasted fantastic. Was worried I scored it too deep but that helped the maple bourbon glaze get in there. Sweated about smoking a fresh for awhile but remembered another post -'relax its not rocket science.' Very satisfied with the result.

·
  • A2ZA2Z Posts: 99
    edited October 2012

@Gabriegger ; I have never cooked a fresh ham before,  what kind of wood for smoke and what for internal temp?  Thanks

Really looks great!

·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,031
    Decided to smoke a fresh ham for the family get together.  Used Egret's Ham recipe adding the glaze from 40 Creek Double Smoked Ham.  Squeezed 22.73 pounds on the LBGE, smoked at 250 for 7 hours.  "Why a ham that size for ten eaters?" I asked the Gaber.  "Just in case someone wanted another slice!"
    I love my Italian lady's perspective on portioning.  Supplied six other families with hunks of ham for the next 3 days!
    That looks great! I never tried that recipe on a fresh ham.......glad it turned out so well for you.
    ·
  • @A2Z I used apple and cherry wood chunks for the smoke and pulled the ham at 155 internal temp - @Egret the recipe was great, thanks. Plan on trying a smoked ham next

·