Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Newbie Question: Tell Me About White Smoke

mb99zzmb99zz Posts: 182
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello Eggheads,

I fired-up my LBGE tonight for the very first time with no food...just a test to get my feet wet with operating the egg and controlling temps.  I plan to cook a low-n-slow butt this weekend.  So, this was just a dry run.  My goal was to keep a temp of of roughly 280 for a couple of hours.  Not sure why I picked that number...

I filled the egg with BGE Natural Lump Charcoal and used a single BGE starter brick/square placed of the lump.  The bottom vent was wide open.  I kept the dome lid up until the starter brick was well on fire and some of the surrounding lump pieces were clearly getting hot.  At that point, I closed the lid but kept the DW wide open.  At this point, I was getting quite a bit of white smoke which I was expecting.  The smoke had a bitter sort of smell...kind of reminded me of smoke coming from a grill where somebody used lighter fluid.  That's the best way to describe it.  

As the dome temp gauge got to about 300, I took a peak at the lump and there was an area about the size of a softball that had a nice glow.  I closed the bottom vent such that it had maybe 1/2 or 3/4 " open and pulled the DW over the top.  I closed the adjusters on the DW such that each opening was a bit less than half way open.  And with all this I was keeping the temp about where I wanted it.  If I had to guess, this was maybe 25 minutes or so after lighting the fire.  

It was dark out by the time I started hovering around 300 -- so, I really couldn't see if I was getting white smoke or clear smoke out of the egg. I felt like I could smell that bitter smoke still for quite a while longer (maybe another 30 minutes).   My simple question would be how long does it take to burn-out the white smoke?   I'm giving all the back-story because I wanted to give the details of what I was doing in the event the answer depends on certain conditions.  

Thanks!

Comments