Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Meat Grinder

davejames0426davejames0426 Posts: 105
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about investing in a meat grinder - any suggestions?????? Thanks.....
LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,938
    If you have a Kitchen-Aid mixer, get the attachment.  I love mine.

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982
    Kitchener #12. Handles batches of up to 15lbs no problem (most I've ever done) and it's a decent small batch stuffer. I'm looking for a dedicated stuffer now, though.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352

Grif,

Look for an Italian pommodori machine with a grinder attachment. They come with stuffing attachments as well. I'll go look at mine and find a link

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    edited October 2012

Best I can do right now. You will have to page up and down to see the grinders

http://www.auroraimporting.com/catalogue/page/56/

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • If you have a Kitchen-Aid mixer, get the attachment.  I love mine.
    +1

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • I got a Deni 3500 on Amazon for about $95 and am more than pleased.  The secret is to properly chill the meat before grinding.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 590

I've been looking at the same thing lately.  I found a grinder set up with a ton of attachments from "Mercantile Station"  http://mercantilestation2.com/#ecwid:category=1019056&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal

The reviews are really good and the kit that comes with it for sausage (including stuffing tubes/beaner plates) is pretty compelling for the price tag.

From everything I've read - a proper stuffer is very important and for me I'm leaning toward just buying the stuffer and getting fresh ground pork from a butcher until I'm sure I will do enough charcuterie to justify the grinder.

Large BGE

·
  • ChrisCChrisC Posts: 107
    LEM #12 here.  Had a Hobart 4812 but it weighted approx 70#s and was a real bear to move onto and off of the counter.  Very happy with the LEM.
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    My father in law has a giant commercial grinder. I'm tempted to bust it out and get it cleaned up for this hunting season. He also has a smoker that I can stand inside and not touch any of the walls from the middle.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
    My father in law has a giant commercial grinder. I'm tempted to bust it out and get it cleaned up for this hunting season. He also has a smoker that I can stand inside and not touch any of the walls from the middle.

I can stand inside my xl and not touch any of the walls from the middle

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I like ours.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
    @VI - you sure don't screw around when it comes to your gear.

·
  • @VI - you sure don't screw around when it comes to your gear.
    Nola,

I tried the KA attachment. It would gum up every few minutes when it ran into some connective tissue.  This guy just plows right through it.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • I was looking at grinder options as well.  I was concerned about the KA attachment because it was made of plastic.  I've looked at Cabela's machines but don't know much about them.  Does anyone have experience with them?
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
    ·
    I'll only do small batches of 5 pounds or so of beef, and that's mostly top sirloin, round, maybe some chuck.  The cutter blade does get wrapped up with connective tissue, but I've never had to stop and clear it out mid-batch.  If I were into sausage making, I'd probably upgrade to something more heavy duty like VI's grinder.  But for what I'm doing and given our kitchen is already packed to the gills with gear, it serves me well for the time being.  It's easy to clean and I usually throw it in the dishwasher to sterilize after use, and it only cost about $50 (obviously not counting the cost of the mixer).

·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    I use the Kitchenaide attachment for small batches and it does okay.

But my friend who does a lot more sausage got the Kitchener stuffer and he swears by that.
    Knoxville, TN
    ·