Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Canadian Beef - Very Cheap!!! Suggestions for making eye of round tender

BigWaderBigWader Posts: 670
edited October 2012 in Beef

I'm not sure if the news state side has carried much about Canada's XL foods plant being closed for E. coli but it has sent a shockwave through the meat industry up here... the side benefit cheap beef!

I was at a discount store yesterday and they had whole eye of the round for like $1.60 a pound (like $13 bucks for the whole thing).  One grocery store was in the paper this morning with T-bones for $2.69/lb. 

I'd like to get some eye and make deli meat but I know it's very lean so I need to "juice" it up.  Any suggestions for injection or brining beef?  And how long to cook/temp/direct/indirect?

Thanks,

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,876
    edited October 2012
    @bigwader, go here

The meat stays moist, and the sammies are excellent. 

As I noted on the other post, eye of round is a good platform to build on, it lacks its own flavour, but if sliced thin can be really good. 
    Delta B.C. - Move over coffee, this is job for alcohol!
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,278
    The biggest thing I can recommend for eye of round is not to take it past medium rare, it gets tough as early as medium. 

An easy beef injection is 1 cup beef stock and 1 Tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminios. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,670

Little more to it when it comes to the grading system

Steve 

Caledon, ON