Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Canadian Beef - Very Cheap!!! Suggestions for making eye of round tender

BigWaderBigWader Posts: 589
edited October 2012 in Beef

I'm not sure if the news state side has carried much about Canada's XL foods plant being closed for E. coli but it has sent a shockwave through the meat industry up here... the side benefit cheap beef!

I was at a discount store yesterday and they had whole eye of the round for like $1.60 a pound (like $13 bucks for the whole thing).  One grocery store was in the paper this morning with T-bones for $2.69/lb. 

I'd like to get some eye and make deli meat but I know it's very lean so I need to "juice" it up.  Any suggestions for injection or brining beef?  And how long to cook/temp/direct/indirect?

Thanks,

Large BGE

·

Comments

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,143
    edited October 2012
    @bigwader, go here

The meat stays moist, and the sammies are excellent. 

As I noted on the other post, eye of round is a good platform to build on, it lacks its own flavour, but if sliced thin can be really good. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    The biggest thing I can recommend for eye of round is not to take it past medium rare, it gets tough as early as medium. 

An easy beef injection is 1 cup beef stock and 1 Tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminios. 
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352

Little more to it when it comes to the grading system

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·