Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

HF Industrial Heat Gun - on sale 50% off

MikeGMikeG Posts: 174
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

I saw a flyer today where this will be $24.95, running Oct 16 - 22nd.  I paid $50 for mine with no regrets.   It's a great lump lighter with a metal nozzle that you can jam a few inches down into the fuel load.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1600-watt-heavy-duty-dual-temperature-heat-gun-1000-1100-66098.html

·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,473
    This is the one I use to start my egg (when I'm in a hurry - normally I use a propane torch). 

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-572-1112-96289.html

It's $13. I try not to leave it in the lump because it doesn't take long before you have a huge inferno.

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,714
    Awesome! I just burnt up my $18 ace hardware gun.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • MikeGMikeG Posts: 174
    This is the one I use to start my egg (when I'm in a hurry - normally I use a propane torch). 

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-572-1112-96289.html

It's $13. I try not to leave it in the lump because it doesn't take long before you have a huge inferno.

Not in the same league.  The industrial model is all metal with a screw-in 6" round base plate so it rests on the ground nozzle up. 

·
    MikeG said:

Not in the same league.  The industrial model is all metal with a screw-in 6" round base plate so it rests on the ground nozzle up. 

Yeah, you're right.  I had one like yours for years....it's commercial duty - all metal.  Broke one day and I bought this one, which is pricy:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D26960-LCD-Heat-Gun/dp/B003079A56/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

But didn't want to trash it, so I picked up the harbor freight cheap-o gun, and I've been using it in dirty jobs (paint removal, starting the egg, etc) for about a year and it's worked fine for $13.  It may not last, but it's cheap.

·
  • MikeGMikeG Posts: 174

The HF model has a crude temp control system - just a (barely) adjustable air intake grid that one restricts by twisting a plate and tightening a too-small lock knob.

Really, it only runs on 'high' which was fine for my usage.

It does have a run-cool setting which kills power to the heat coil and that is useful for force feeding air into the Egg's air intake when you are in a hurry.

·

MikeG said:

It does have a run-cool setting which kills power to the heat coil and that is useful for force feeding air into the Egg's air intake when you are in a hurry.

That's cool.  I wouldn't have to break out my leaf blower as much.

·
  • subrostudsubrostud Posts: 4
    Harbor Freight Tools has a Drillmaster 1500 for $12.99:
    1500 Watt Dual Temperature Heat Gun (572°/1112°)
    Drill Master - item#96289

Will buy soon and post results. Looflighter had too many negative reviews and this one is only $13!
    Subrostud

·
    I have one of those...works fine.  I don't like using my $80 DeWalt heat gun starting lump, specially under the influence of adult beverage.  Mostly anymore I just used a propane torch.

·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,295
    In am actually loving my bge electric starter over the mapp torch method.
    Fortunate my outlet is close by
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • StreetgliderStreetglider Posts: 103
    Won one in an auction at work (paid $7.50), use it to give my electric BGE starter a little extra umph,

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
    ·