Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Smoking, Slicing, Freezing Turkey Breast

nysportsfannysportsfan Posts: 241
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone gone the way of smoking, slicing, and then freezing turkey meat for deli sandwiches? I've purchased a slicer (which I love) and have come to realize that I can probably save a lot of money by buying a big turkey breast, seasoning it the way I want, slicing it up into small portions and freezing it for later consumption.

My question is whether it will keep in the freezer for a few months? I was just given a food saver which is great for my new bacon obsession, so I think I now have all of the tools.... Thoughts? Suggestions? 

Comments

• GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,476
    Yep, it will keep very nicely in a food saver bag. I do it all the time. Pork loin is also very good.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 5,118
    We don't slice much, although I have a deli-slicer.  We just shred and freeze in single serving sizes.  Turkey thighs work much better than breast/white meat.

It is actually quite tasty.

XLBGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to my daughter), MBGE and lots of toys

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 22,162
    havent tried turkey slices frozen but gravey freezes very well, i might try it both ways, with and without gravey for hot sandwiches as well.
  • Awesome. Will get a nice sized breast and slice and save.
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    I save sliced turkey, roast beef, pastrami, and ham in the freezer for lunch meat. They always seem to get eaten before a month is over but they always taste great. See the thread below.

roast beef for cold cuts