Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

turbo Boston butt

henapplehenapple Posts: 14,250
edited October 2012 in Forum List
I'm going to try a turbo 5lb butt today. I'm giving myself at least 1 hr per pound. Do I go direct or indirect?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
·

Comments

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,121
    Indirect. Check Mickey's post on the subject.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,565
    Indirect at 350 dome until 165 internal. Foil. Cook to 200. About an hour per pound but it varies each time.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,231

The turbo experience is gleaned from the elevated cook temperature-the cook style (direct/indirect-raised grid or not) remains the same-at least from my experience and reading posts from the turbo eggsperts.  FWIW-

Louisville
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,271
    Did 4.5lb @ 350 indirect. 2hr 17min hit 160 (then foiled) ((( you do not have to foil))) at 3hr. 15min total at 195 and into the butt box. (((You do not have to box))) Had good bark just not what the long ones have. The product was outstanding. Butt Rub on last night.Added pecan chunks to fire.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,250
    5 lb...I'm at 136 around 2 hrs in. Keeping it at 350....would Like to be done in 4 hrs. Fingers crossed.
    ·
  • need to cook 3 boston butts for family. can i cook three at one time with same heat/time or will i need higher dome temps?
    ·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    need to cook 3 boston butts for family. can i cook three at one time with same heat/time or will i need higher dome temps?
    Same temps, but the added mass may or may not add time. Check your temps and tenderness on all as they may not all finish at the same time. Remember that wherever the different butts touch you will not get bark.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,037
    need to cook 3 boston butts for family. can i cook three at one time with same heat/time or will i need higher dome temps?
    Same temp.  Time per pound is per roast, not total pounds.  So if it takes an hour/lb and you have 3 5lb butts, it's 5 hours, not 15.

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,037
    ...provided they're not tied together. 

·
  • After injecting my butts, i cook them "low and slow" with plenty of pecan - indirect at 240 degrees until it reaches 160 degrees(2 1/2 hours), then foiled(three layers) back on the same grill, increase the temperature to 300 to 330 until i reach 210.  Total guess-ta-ment on time overall --six hours.  Doing three at a time might add an hour to the entire cooking time..
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,176
    ...provided they're not tied together. 
    ......or 23 lbs on a medium in 2 pieces(~12 and 11 lbs each) A bit of a tight fit. Only took 12 hours, though.
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I turbo'd a 5lber yesterday. Put on @ 350 @ 11:00am . Foiled @ 160 @ 2:30pm. FTC @ 200 @ 4:15pm. Pulled @ 6:30. It was still piping hot and full of juice. Boy that's a lot of @'s.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • Can u post this cook. When I get home, around midnight, I'm firing up the egg for two 8 # gonna do a modified turbo nitro or something. Need it to be quick!

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,250
    It's been a while. it cooked much quicker...5 hrs, maybe 6.
    ·