Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Northern Eggers

eggteeth
eggteeth Posts: 52
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Do you cook all winter?  Down to what temps?  How do you cover your egg?

I live in MN and we get some extreme temps, sometimes down to -10/20 degrees.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I don't cover mine in southern Ontario. They may seal up from freezing but you can fix that by lighting a fire in the lower vent. Sometimes the lower vent will ice up but if you take a torch to it it will open up. There is a thread about eggs in Canada a few posts down

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Funny, but years ago when living in eastern Ontario, the gasser would heat to maybe 200 because it was too cold for the propane. I either had to bring the tank in the house to warm it up or put an electric blanket around it. That's when I discovered that lump burns at the same temp, summer or winter. Took years to discover the ultimate lump machine, the egg. 
    On the "wet" coast, freezing is not so much the issue, but rain sure is, remember we shovel the little snow we get in our Birkenstocks...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!