Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to Charleston, SC

Options
SWVABeanCounter
SWVABeanCounter Posts: 859
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
We'll be there next week, just because we've never been there and am looking for restaurant suggestions and any others you may want to include.  Thanks in advance.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    There are LOTS of great places to eat in Charleston.  I would take a look at the Shem Creek area...great seafood.  Red's Ice House is where I would go.

I guess if you haven't been before you have to go to Hyman's even though I think it is highly OVERRATED.  Take a look at Yelp and figure out some places to go downtown.  There are TOO many to choose from for me to give you suggestions.  It is all about what you are looking for.

I was always hoping I would be able to put in a negative plug for this place after our last trip...DO NOT GO TO Henry's House.  I stood at the front door for 10 mins with everyone just starring at me like I was an idiot.  Bar tenders, waitresses, patrons.  Pardon my french but they were all a bunch of ****.  My wife and I finally just walked out and went to another bar.  I guess they should put a 'Local's Only' sign up.

Hope you have a blast and let me know where you go.  Anything else you are planning to do while there or just eat :)?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    If you are in the downtown area and do not mind being a little spendy:  FIG (Food Is Good).  Pricey but very good.  You might need reservations.  That place was one of the best restaurant meals I have had in a long time.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Options
    Shem Creek!! it's been a few years but we had a great time at a couple of places right on the water.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    A.w. shucks is a great spot. Down by the slave market there are a few nice areas too. Def go down by that area. The battery, rainbow st, that area has nice local spots.
    Boom
  • wallyjar
    wallyjar Posts: 123
    Options
    West of the Ashley has a LONG TIME BBQ staple.  Bessingers.  I still order their bbq sauce online and my family loves every one(3 or 4 I think)..I do not eat sauce. Enjoy the meat too much.

I think it is buffet style now but I always enjoy.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I highly recommend Ansons. Not as popular but excellent food and a great Charleston feel. Also SNOB (Slightly North Of Broad) is very good.

Try Red Drum if you leave downtown.

If you feel adventurous, Poe's Tavern on Sullivan's Island is a great place for a burger and beer. Home Team BBQ is also there and is good.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I would second Shem Creek and FIG. We also liked Poogans Porch and High Cotton, where we had the best charcuterie we've ever had. We had a great experience at Henry's, but probably wouldn't go back based on the experience above. Too many places where you're treated royally.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Mdkstate
    Mdkstate Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I am new here and new to the BGE as of three weeks ago. I love it! Planning on my first over night Friday. As I am in Charleston monthly for work I felt like this would be the best place for a first post. I am a firm believer Charleston has some of the best restaurants in the world. Can't throw a stick without hitting a great choice for a meal. My short list of favs: 1. Husk- Reservations are a must, however, killing a few hours at the bar (located in a house next door) is not a bad way to wait for a table (about every type of Bourbon you could dream of available). Menu changes daily. Farm to table and you can tell. My favorite restaurant in the city by far. 2. +1 for Poogans Porch- Go for lunch. Fried Chicken is amazing. 3. +1 for High Cotton- Typically they have live Jazz in the bar area. Great low country food. 4. Grill 225- Roof top bar is the best in Charleston. Great views and drinks. Dress code but it is not stuffy at all. I hit it every time I am in the city. I usually only drink here. 5. Amen Street Fish Market- Fresh fish and oysters. Hope that helps and you enjoy Charleson. Great time of the year to be there. Wish me luck on my cook Friday night. I am excited!
  • RustyBrainpan
    Options
    I am a resident of the area and would offer you  the following suggestions:

Shem Creek is scenic, but the food there isn't so good.  Red's is a cool place to hang out at however if you want brews and bar food.

Hymans is a waste of time for quality, but has been in every food magazine a zillion times.  Not worth the wait unless you just need to make sure you get a stamp on your tourist card.

A very good seafood experience can be had at the Coast.  They wood grill their fresh seafood and have very good daily specials.  Not cheap, but not the most expensive either.

Forget Husk, you won't get in.  You can likley get a seat at the bar.  The have the most awesome burger in Charleston, it is 50% bacon.  Everything there has pork fat in it, even the butter, so around here it is basically Mecca.

High Cotton is very good - but I only frequent that establishment for brunch.  Magnolia, Blossom, Fig, SNOB, Tristan, etc. are all very good foodie places, and you get to pay for it.  If you want to spend $$$$, skip them and go to the Peninsula Grill for likely some of the best food here.

Home Team BBQ is the best in town for a regular restaurant setting.  There are a lot of little BBQ joints around here, we are the center of the BBQ universe, but they are usually only open Thursday through Saturday, or until the run out of pig.  I have an extensive list, but they aren't close to downtown.

If you want steak - Halls Chop House.  Grill 225 is good not great, and the Rooftop at the Market Pavilion hotel is fabulous. Eat at Halls, drink at the Market Pavilion.

You want funky and eclectic - Tattooed Moose.  Oysters - go to Pearlz.  Thai Food - Basil.  Sushi - Zen is the best, but it isn't downtown.  O-Ku downtown.

If you want real low country, stand in line at Jestine's Kitchen and you will get the best of the southern style.  Hominy Grill is good for breakfast low country style as well.

Fleet Landing is a neat place with good food.  I like it for lunch and brunch.  Seating outside on the harbor is nice.

This is just downtown.  There are many good places in the outlying areas.

There are a ton of excellent places here, Charleston is hailed as a culinary destination and few issues pass in the foodie magazines without mentioning one or more of the establishments here.  These are just a few picks from a local guy that has made a hobby out of eating.  Ok, now I am hungry.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Mdkstate said:
    I am new here and new to the BGE as of three weeks ago. I love it! Planning on my first over night Friday. Wish me luck on my cook Friday night. I am excited!
    Congrats on the BGE and welcome to the forum (zoo).  I've had our LBGE for a month and am addicted to it.  Thanks for all the suggestions and good luck on the first overnighter.  Let everyone know how it turns out and remember, if there are no pictures, it didn't happen.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• 2SCdoodlegg
    Options
    We love the Hominy Grill.  It has been featured on several cooking channel shows and it has the best shrimp and grits I have ever eaten.   I also like Poogan's Porch and High Cotton as mentioned above.

1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!
  • RollTideRob
    Options
    Poogan's Porch is very good. I also recommend Red's Ice House. You can actually take a water taxi from Charleston to Shem Creek to hang out at Red's. The food at Red's is not great, but you'll have a great time there.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL