Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Wrapped Meatballs

Options
bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

I got the idea here from a thread but I can't find it to give credit. Thanks to whoever you are :)

I got a pack of italian meatballs (44 per bag) and 22 strips of bacon. These went much quicker than the ABT and will become a regular. I dusted with Texas BBQ Grand Champion and indirect 275° for about 45 minutes. Added a little BBQ sauce and another 10-15 minutes.

I just did a few racks of ribs and the oval plate was still in my egg. The drippings are from the ribs. I know, being lazy but I think of it as being efficient.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Those look spectacular.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
  • Bear02
    Bear02 Posts: 23
    Options
    frozen meatballs?
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Wow. Will be doing soon. Were the meatballs the frozen kind and let thaw or did you make them yourself?
    Boom
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great looking cook, like the idea of putting a few on one skewer, easy to turn and move. I noticed you slid them together, did the bacon cook where they touched? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bigguy136
    Options

They were frozen meatballs and I spread them out on a cookie sheet for about 1 hour to thaw. I used a half slice of bacon so there wasn't much overlap of the bacon. I then slid them together a little to help hold the bacon seam a bit but they weren't tight to each other. When I put on the BBQ sauce, I turned them on their side, added sauce, turned 180°, sauced again and then stood back upright and added sauce to the third side. They cooked great. I also used applewood chunks for smoke. They picked up a hint of smoke flavor. Next time I might mix some Jimmy Dean sausage and mix with ground beef. I was looking for a little more kick, more like ABTs.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options

Here's another photo. It shows how close they were to each other.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I make the traditional MOINK balls, but I just put toothpicks through them and while they turn out great it is a pain to turn so many of them. This way would solve that problem.