Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pork 'Burnt Ends' - my take

MikeGMikeG Posts: 174
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

We had an end of summer 'block party' yesterday and I had put myself down for pulled pork. I wanted to bring along a bit of a surprise as well so came up with the idea of pork belly morsels on toothpicks. People were raving about them so I thought I'd share here.

I start with belly slabs I buy from the Chinese market. They come trimmed to about 14" x 8".

- Cut in half legthwise and trim off the hide and 90% of the fat that was under it.  It's difficult to render out and makes for a very fatty mouth-feel.

- Score very deeply into 1.5" (they shrink) cubes from the 'meat side' but don't cut all the way through.

- Apply rub as desired. I did this the night before

I wanted 4 hours in the Egg (sorry, KJ in my case) without drying them out, so...

- Fold on itself so the uncut side is out and cook 3 hrs low & slow

- Reverse the fold to get some smoke on the scored side and cook another 45 mins - 1 hour. They will be slightly dried out, which is what I wanted.

- Pull them and finish cutting through the scores to cube them up.

- Put them in a foil lined glass casserole with your fave bbq sauce and toss them with fingers to cover well.

- Cover in foil and bake in the oven at 250 for 45 mins or so. We had about 30 people at this party so I did the toothpick thing to make sure everyone could get a few - so line them up still in the pan and poke a toothpick into each one. I like the glass dish for this as it holds in a lot of heat to keep them from going cold and greasy in the mouth.

They came out great! Each piece was tender with just a hint of crispyness on the exterior.

My picks suck but do crudely illustrate what I did. I'm sorry I didn't get a shot with toothpicks in.  My Wife did that part as I was racing to get the pork butts  pulled at zero-hour. 

Thanks for looking!

Good eats!

Salt Lake City-20120929-00056.jpg
600 x 800 - 149K
Salt Lake City-20120929-00055.jpg
600 x 800 - 122K
Salt Lake City-20120929-00058.jpg
600 x 800 - 111K

Comments