Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Turkey

Options
llrickman
llrickman Posts: 654
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
What is the best method for Spatchcocked turkey?  Raised direct? , Indirect on the grid?  . I was thinking of injecting with something ( not sure what yet) butter inside the skin on the breast and rubbed down with one of my DP rubs or maybe with Emmerills  essence but was wondering what method to go with
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I do not inject. Only use a coffee rub. Handful of cherry and pecan chips. 400 direct raised and I like small 11/12 lb birds. I time I leave uncovered in fridge over night. Don't have to. Takes a little over an hour cook and never turn over. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I did one last thxgivin. I got the pre-brined 12ish lb bird from trader joes. I rubbed it with a simple herb butter on and under skin, did it indirect. I used foil over the platesetter to act as a barrier where the bird hung over. Turned out great.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    seems easier than fried. i might smoke a t breast
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    One question....any drippings for gravy?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I am so sick of Mickey beating me on these turkey threads. I can't poke fun unless I'm first. :ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Seriously, do it like Mickey says. I've tried it his way and its the best.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    henapple said:
    One question....any drippings for gravy?

Nope, this is a direct cook so no drippings.....sorry

Take the neck, cut out back, tail, etc and cook it down

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.