Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pulled pork with pork loin?

Mole351Mole351 Posts: 110
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anybody do this? How does it compare to pork butt?

Comments

• DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    DON'T ATTEMPT!!!!! Pork loin is very lean, pork butts are full of fat which requires the low and slow to render and make pulled pork so good.

Be like taking a filet and pulling for bbq beef.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,740
    edited September 2012

You can make pulled pork with loin or tenderloin. I haven't done it but ctredwell and Clay Q on the other forum have.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?searchword=pulled+pork+tenderloin&dtstart=0&dtrange=0&orderby=score&pagelength=50&returnfirst=0&option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=search

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    I HAVE done it and it is nothing like a pork butt.
  • I've done it as well but not on my egg. Pre-egg days. It's not as good as a butt or shoulder from the "pulled" perspective because of the low fat content. Just don't overcook it because it'll be dry.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,740
    edited September 2012
    Not fighting here. I said I have never done it but I know both of those guys personally and they claim it's very good. Even if it wasn't as good as the real deal one could make sacrifices for the lower fat content.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dry. The links I checked on the other forum involve a braise while the cut was whole and then pulled and added to sauce back on the egg for more cooking/smoke. Seems that would be required to have it not be dry.
  • No connective tissue. Not enough fat. Bad idea.
    LBGE
  • no
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • Steven is...gulp.....right. I've had it. I didn't like it. We went to a party where some folks did it in sauce in a crock pot. I didn't read the clayQ thing but he does pulled beef in kind of the same way (in sauce- not crock pot). Just sayin, it can be done, but for gods sake....why. I've had AWESOME pork loin done dozens of ways. Pulled is on the bottom of the ladder.....for me.......
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • No what? God I hate you

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• No what? God I hate you

Just wait until Salado. You can't truly hate what you have not met......but you do have a pretty good head start
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • You see I used my big post number on that one. I'm sure I will hate you more once we have imbibed together

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• You see I used my big post number on that one. I'm sure I will hate you more once we have imbibed together

I did see that. It was a bit short sided if you will
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • Still can't figure out why that happens..I'm not a smart man

Steve 

Caledon, ON