Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Possible to smoke 5 lb pork butt with only one lump?

jimreed777jimreed777 Posts: 283
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

You tell me?

Brick added for perspective.

WHOA!!

Wicked Good indeed.

Every bag has had a majority of bigger than fist sized pieces...but this is RIDIC!!
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,467
    edited September 2012
    Friend, that is one clean EGG =D>
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,571
    I'd hate to try and it not work. Bought my first bag last week...out has some monsters in it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • GezrGezr Posts: 153
    I think that it needs a friend to keep it warm.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
    ·
  • Mickey said:
    that was from my pizza cook last night...getting ready to make it black again...pork butt going on tonight. :)
    ·
  • henapple said:
    I'd hate to try and it not work. Bought my first bag last week...out has some monsters in it.
    Put it on the grate in the middle and filled up to almost the bottom of the platesetter with apple and cherry chunks and fresh lump. Gonna give it a go for a 20+ hour cook.
    ·
  • Mickey said:
    Thinking about taking everything out of the egg and building a fire right on the bottom and letting it go clean burn after tonights butt cook.

I have to replace the gasket anyway. It is almost completely gone in the back and falling apart everywhere else. I am gonna get one last cook out of it...then I am gonna build a fire on the bottom and expose serial numbers everywhere!!

PS. I wont crack the bottom will I?  
    :)]
    ·
  • Just nail your smoking wood to it and you'll be fine

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I did a hot fire in the firebox and the egg came out clean.
    LBGE
    ·
  • Just nail your smoking wood to it and you'll be fine

That was funny right there

·
  • I can see it now, the next accessory will be the BGE Davit to lower the lump into the fire box.....
    Impressive. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • I can see it now, the next accessory will be the BGE Davit to lower the lump into the fire box.....
    Impressive. 
    LOL

butt in at midnight - happy with temp of 230 steady for 30 minutes now - heading to bed...

We will see how "Super" lump does with this cook.
    ·