Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Help with my butt.

Grillin_G_MaGrillin_G_Ma Posts: 94
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
So our first cook of spatchcock chicken went so well that my husband came home today with a 6 lb pork butt for lunch on Sunday. Our kids are coming for lunch at 1:00. We get up early. Is it possible to start the butt early Sunday morning and have it ready to eat by 1:00? We don't have a remote thermometer yet. Maybe we should cook the butt on Saturday and reheat on Sunday. Please give me advice. Thanks.
·

Comments

• Do you get up at like 2:30 am early? You can do them in an hour per lb around 275-300 dome but you are really pushing it. Gotta figure an hour to get up, light the egg, stabilize etc. and i wouldn't feel comfortable under 1.25-1.5 hrs per lb at any temp.
    I have been known to get everything ready, light and stabilize my fire all the night before. Then i would get up at 4-5 am and just throw the meat on and go back to bed. It only burns $2-$3 worth of lump to smolder an empty egg overnight.

Another suggestion, if it's boneless, cut it in half and cook 2 3 pounders in the morning. They will be done in 4hrs or so. That might be the plan if you want to cook in the am.

·