Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Help with my butt.

Grillin_G_MaGrillin_G_Ma Posts: 62
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
So our first cook of spatchcock chicken went so well that my husband came home today with a 6 lb pork butt for lunch on Sunday. Our kids are coming for lunch at 1:00. We get up early. Is it possible to start the butt early Sunday morning and have it ready to eat by 1:00? We don't have a remote thermometer yet. Maybe we should cook the butt on Saturday and reheat on Sunday. Please give me advice. Thanks.

Comments

• Do you get up at like 2:30 am early? You can do them in an hour per lb around 275-300 dome but you are really pushing it. Gotta figure an hour to get up, light the egg, stabilize etc. and i wouldn't feel comfortable under 1.25-1.5 hrs per lb at any temp.
    I have been known to get everything ready, light and stabilize my fire all the night before. Then i would get up at 4-5 am and just throw the meat on and go back to bed. It only burns $2-$3 worth of lump to smolder an empty egg overnight.

Another suggestion, if it's boneless, cut it in half and cook 2 3 pounders in the morning. They will be done in 4hrs or so. That might be the plan if you want to cook in the am.