Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using action for gasket replacement

Options
specmat
specmat Posts: 3
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Seen a few quotes that said it's not good to use action to clean for a new gasket Any comments

Comments

• specmat
    Options
    Meant acitone not action
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I've used acetone, but not too much. A warm, not hot egg is easier to clean. I use a brush and spread the acetone on 1/4 of the rim only, then off with a dry cloth or for stubborn glue, a rag soaked in acetone. Also discovered my wife's Pampered Chef scrapers work really well, then a razor scraper. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    +1 on the razor scraper.  Acetone only on the tough to get off spots.  
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Very gently with the a fine wire brush in a power drill.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• BakerMan
    Options
    After scraping I used an palm sander, 200 grit to to remove hard Rutland cement to prep Egg for Nomex with Permatex copper adhesive.  Final clean with acetone and rag.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    BakerMan said:
    After scraping I used an palm sander, 200 grit to to remove hard Rutland cement to prep Egg for Nomex with Permatex copper adhesive.  Final clean with acetone and rag.
    Sounds backward. I used the nomex replacement that mothership send me, then upgraded to the rutland.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I've used this when replacing all four of mine with Rutlands.  No acetone needed and does not harm the ceramic.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    BakerMan said:
    Sounds backward. I used the nomex replacement that mothership send me, then upgraded to the rutland.
    Interesting, This may sound stupid, but are there different qualities of Nomex? I was given a BGE self adhesive high temp replacement gasket, it looked very different from the old felt, lighter color and seemed denser. (or maybe it's me that's denser) Is the Nomex from BGE the same as commercially available Nomex? Is it the same as the self adhesive Nomex from High-Que? I have a Nomex from High-Que sitting in a drawer and looks quite different from the BGE high temp gasket. Anyone have experience with this? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BakerMan
    Options
    I have seen pictures of the "new" egg Nomex gaskets and they look to be gray colored.  The Nomex gasket I bought was almost white with no adhesive.  I used Permetex copper to glue it to rim of Egg after reading what others have done.  So far it has survived two 650 degree pizza cooks and still looks new.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"