Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coffee rubs- inform me please

Options
Zaltydog
Zaltydog Posts: 106
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi all-

I have only recently heard of this.  My son came home from a cookout where they had cooked steaks, I think, with a coffee rub/seasoning.  I love coffee and the idea intrigues me.  If anyone has some experience with coffee rubs/seasonings I would like to get some clues on what is done to make this work.

Thanks!

Comments

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    edited September 2012
    Options

Here's a link to one I've used with great results. Very easy. Although I haven't used it on my new egg yet.

http://bbqpitboys.com/recipes/58/coffee-dry-rub

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited September 2012
    Options
    My GF likes her steaks w/ a coffee rub.  I don't drink coffee, so I don't like it. 

I believe this isn't a new phenomenon though.  If the story is to be believed, the Cowboys coming west used to cook their steaks over an open campfire & used coffee grounds as a rub for them. 

Dunno if there's a way to verify the truth to that, but it seems very logical.  In fact, there's a steakhouse in Oakland called Prime Spot & they serve a "cowboy cut" steak which is rubbed in coffee - so at least they think the story is true.

At any rate, she's tried the DP coffee rub & a few others & has liked them all.  I guess if you like coffee, you'll like this rub on steaks. 

P.S.  Hey Richard, just curious - do you link to the Eggheadforum when over at the other place?  Do you think that would be considered rude to do so?  If you've got a lot of recipes & advice posted over there, how's about just copying the actual info & putting it here if'n ya wanna participate over here? 

I posted that in as nice a way as I felt I could, so don't think I'm trying to "start" something, but I'm curious if you think it's in bad form to do it over there but not here, and why?

Thanks
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I really, really like the Dizzy Pig Red Eye rub.  I'm not a big coffee fan either.

I use it for seasoning when I'm pickling beets also.
    Options
    I really, really like the Dizzy Pig Red Eye rub.  I'm not a big coffee fan either.

I use it for seasoning when I'm pickling beets also.
    I like the DP Red Eye as well.  I've used it on everything from ribs to fatties.  I'm not a coffee drinker at all, and enjoy the flavor.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I made a rub using Espresso salt but that is a bit hard to find locally.

As far as quick off the shelf stuff, McCormick Grill Mates has a Cowboy Rub that I like on beef.  I haven't tried the DP Red Eye but every other Dizzy Pig rub I have tried has been GREAT (Tsunami Spin, Jamaican Firewalk, Raging River, and Cowlick)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited September 2012
    Options

I use it on steaks and turkey. Very good and can't taste coffee.....

My wiThis is using RIchard's, Monica's, and Hungryman and what I came up with that I now use as my #1 rub on steak,turkey, chicken and pork chops:

Equal parts:

Kosher Salt (have cut back to half amount)
    Coarse ground black pepper
    Instant Espresso Coffee (Medaglla D'oro)
    Brown Sugar
    Garlic Powder (half amount)
    Ancho Chili powder (3/4 amount)(dark or light)

I give thanks to Richard, HungryMan, and Monica. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ATBBQ_Josh
    Options
    The Cattleman's Grill Original Coffee Steak Rub or the Smoky Chipotle Coffee Rub are fantastic! They were my introduction to coffee rubs (I use them on everything), and I never looked back.

*Disclaimer: My family owns this brand, just want to be totally honest here.
    Marketing/Media Guy for All Things Barbecue
    Large EGG in Stainless Cart
    Yoder Smokers YS640 Custom
    Weber Kettle 22.5" Classic
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    Options
    Thank you for this thread!  Been wanting to try a coffee rub and appreciate the links above.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Dizzy pig red eye is spot on for me. I love coffee but can't really say my steaks taste like coffee... But I do love that rub

XLBGE 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

Here's my recipe;

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
    1 tsp. granulated garlic
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    4 tsp. kosher salt
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    4 boneless rib eye steaks 1 1/2" thick
    Directions
    rub 1 1/2 Tbs. of mixture all over each steak. Grill to desired doneness

Dizzy Pig also has one called Red Eye Express and it is quite good.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Another one for DP Red Eye.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    One more for DP Red Eye.  I've also tried one called Rub Joe but it isn't nearly as good as DP.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited September 2012
    Options
    A couple more recipes that I picked up on here.  I tried the Bobby Flay recipe on chicken, but it would be better on steak.

Bobby Flay recipe:

1/4 cup ancho chili powder 1/4 cup finely ground espresso 2 tablespoons Spanish paprika 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar 1 tablespoon dry mustard 1 tablespoon kosher salt 1 tablespoon ground black pepper 1 tablespoon ground coriander 1 tablespoon dried oregano 2 teaspoons ground ginger 2 teaspoons chili de arbol powder

Coffee Based Dry Rub
    1/3 cup Brown Sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
    1 tsp smoked paprika
    1/2 tbs onion powder
    1/2 tbs garlic powder
    1/2 tsp  ground red pepper flake
    pinch cayenne pepper
    pinch dried thyme
    3 tbs finely ground dark roasted coffee
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Zaltydog
    Options
    I knew you guys wouldn't fail me!  Thanks for all the history, recipes, and suggestions.  Now I am ready to give it a try.  I have tried a few Dizzy Pig rubs and have liked them.  Will have to look into their coffee rub.

Thanks!
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options

I was wanting to try a coffee rub also, but didn't have time to go out to the store to get some.  I just added a little coffee to my normal rub and tried it on a pork roast.  It was excellent.  Since I have purchased some DP Red Eye Express.  This stuff is really good.  I tried it on some T-bone lamb chops the other night.  Very different from my normal for lamb, but really good.  Ready to try it on a prok roast soon.

George

George
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited September 2012
    Options
    My GF likes her steaks w/ a coffee rub.  I don't drink coffee, so I don't like it. 

I believe this isn't a new phenomenon though.  If the story is to be believed, the Cowboys coming west used to cook their steaks over an open campfire & used coffee grounds as a rub for them. 

Dunno if there's a way to verify the truth to that, but it seems very logical.  In fact, there's a steakhouse in Oakland called Prime Spot & they serve a "cowboy cut" steak which is rubbed in coffee - so at least they think the story is true.

At any rate, she's tried the DP coffee rub & a few others & has liked them all.  I guess if you like coffee, you'll like this rub on steaks. 

P.S.  Hey Richard, just curious - do you link to the Eggheadforum when over at the other place?  Do you think that would be considered rude to do so?  If you've got a lot of recipes & advice posted over there, how's about just copying the actual info & putting it here if'n ya wanna participate over here? 

I posted that in as nice a way as I felt I could, so don't think I'm trying to "start" something, but I'm curious if you think it's in bad form to do it over there but not here, and why?

Thanks
    Not sure your intent, but I have over 4500 BGE related recipes on the "Original' forum about 250
    + are my original recipes and have no reason to re do the process.  how many time do people link to Bobby Flay, Emeril, Paula etc?  Sorry if you are offended.  After 10 years posting on the original I will continue to do my thing.

All my new postings are on the original for my data base purposes (Living Cookbook) and will continue to do so.
    Email me off line if you wish to continue this discussion.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Rodak's Coffee Rub is very good.  Sent that in a "rub and spice care" package to Capt Chris in Afganistan (Mickey had sent him the mini) .  Chris really liked the rub on the steaks they cooked.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    For steak: salt, pepper, ground coffee. Tastes smoky, not like coffee. DP REDEYE is awesome too but salt pepper and coffee are plenty good and easy
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Options
    I had a steak in Houston this summer with a coffee rub that was the best steak I have ever eaten. The flavor, for me, really goes well on a steak.
  • DocWonmug
    Options
    A few votes for DP Red Eye. I thought it was OK, but some of their other rubs are better.
    LBGE
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    For steak: salt, pepper, ground coffee. Tastes smoky, not like coffee. DP REDEYE is awesome too but salt pepper and coffee are plenty good and easy
    Hi CT.  Are these in equal parts?  A good simple rub is hard to beat!
    Flint, Michigan
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Hi CT.  Are these in equal parts?  A good simple rub is hard to beat!

I never measured. Just a good coat of salt and pepper then I put ground coffee in a bowl and sprinkled it on by hand. The coffee pretty much covered the steak but you would still see the meat (unlike a brisket or butt rub if you catch my drift)

Don't over think it. Just do as much salt and pepper as you normally would then a good dusting of finely ground coffee on top of that. Works great for pan searing as well.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Thanks!  I'm going to try that!
    Flint, Michigan
  • FlobeySolo
    Options
    We're big fans of Bobby Flay's rub (posted above) on ribeyes and strips. I personally like it better than the Dizzy Pig, but that's just me.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I think I would like that, but Wilma HATES spicy.  Anything by Bobby Flay is spicy and trying to work around that problem in his recipes has not worked for me.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I also have used Dizzy Pig Red Express many times on many different cooks.  It is just good stuff!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    Options
    Cooked a spatchcock turkey tonight.  Made a rub of 1/3 cup Byron's Butt Rub, 1/3 cub turbinado sugar, and 2 tablespoons fresh ground coffee.  Rubbed EVOO inside skin and out on Thursday night, applied the rub, placed uncovered in the refrigerator.  Placed in egg at 375 degrees today at 4:00 pm at felt level for about two hours until done.  EXCELLENT!!!  The whole family loved it.  Thanksgiving, here I come....
  • grok
    grok Posts: 32
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I think I made the Bobby Flay recipe and it's been wonderful on pork rib eye (boneless) centers.  I just ran out and was going to look for the recipe again, and apparently I must not have had the arbol chile powder because I only just now learned what that is :)

But fyi, without it is JUST FINE, as in, excellent and delicious, although my curiosity is piqued regarding the apparent "earthy, smokey, and hot" of the arbol chile.  The other pepper I think of when I think "smokey" is chipotle, and I have some of that powder... hmm I'll put that on one of the chops
  • grok
    grok Posts: 32
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Oh hold up -- I just used the Bobby Flay recipe mixed in with about two tbsp of the old mixture, and it's definitely not as sweet.  I think I may have combined another recipe in with Flay's on the first go-round by using 1/4 cup sugar rather than 2 tbsp in the recipe above.  You can't go wrong by using 3 tbsp, definitely :)  I do prefer a slightly bit more sweet.

Oh hold up the sequel, I have Pickapeppa sauce, might add some sweetness :)

Followup -- aww crap I forgot to try the chipotle chile powder replacement for arbol chile powder.. next time..