Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza

Options
Simply_Smokin
Simply_Smokin Posts: 20
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hello,

It's been a while since I have posted but what's more imprtant is that it hasnt been a while since I have used my BGE. I cooked my first pzza last night. Used dough from the deli section of the grocery store, Ragu pizza sauce, pepperoni, sausage and cheese. Used parchment paper, cooked at 600 degrees for about 10-12 minutes. Not real pleased with crust, might try making the crust the next time I do pizza.

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have really enjoyed pizza on the egg, but we also make are own dough. How do you set up your pizza stone? I use this dough recipe http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/pizza-dough and have tried with and without 00 flour if you can find it, get it but it isn't necessary to have great pizza. Have any pictures? Sometimes too much topping can effect the dough as well. Don't give up its one of my favorite things on the egg.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Solson005 said:
    I have really enjoyed pizza on the egg, but we also make are own dough. How do you set up your pizza stone? I use this dough recipe http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/pizza-dough and have tried with and without 00 flour if you can find it, get it but it isn't necessary to have great pizza. Have any pictures? Sometimes too much topping can effect the dough as well. Don't give up its one of my favorite things on the egg.
    Good advice, along with Jamie, the BAM guy is good as well:
    For me, the most forgiving set up is setter legs down, pizza stone on the setter, no grid, temp 500-550. Not too much topping until you get a feel for cook times. Also, if the crust is overdone, nest time give the stone a wipe with a damp dish towel, just before you put on the pie - cools it just a bit. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Simply_Smokin
    Options
    I used the platesetter legs down, then used three mason jar rings as spacers for my pizza stone. I made the mistake of not putting dough on parchment paper before topping. It made it difficult to put pizza on stone.