Tonight I did something we've all done. Get the BGE started, get distracted, and come out to find the thermometer at 650. Ouch! Usually I shut it down, wait for a long time to get the temperature close to where I want it, and then burn the hair off my arm when I get a flare up opening the lid due to oxygen starvation. Tonight when it happened I just put a bunch more charcoal on the roaring fire which kinda smothered it but didn't put it out since it was so hot. This brought the temp to where I needed it in less than 5 minutes. Woo-hoo. I love when I find something that works better than what Ive been doing.
XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser