Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket in Apple Cider Vinegar?

eggteetheggteeth Posts: 52
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Guy I work with swears that the best brisket he has ever made was done with soaking it in apple cider vinegar for 6-8 hours before rubbing, cooking, etc.  I had his brisket at our FF draft and it was very good.  Anyone have any experience with this?
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,865
    Acids like those in vinegar and wine can turn meat into a mushy consistancy.  That said, maybe that's not a bad thing if it came out well.

·
  • blasphemy............

·
  • Nola is right. Marinades should be acid and oil, otherwise you will get pulp. Especially for that kind of time. Brisket on the egg can be a beautiful thing without marinade.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I wonder if this was "soft" cider? Soft apple cider (not alcoholic hard cider) can be much less acidic than apple juice, which is between 3 and 4 on the PH scale as I recall, it is a an unpasteurized version of apple juice. Could be way wrong on this but I do recall picking up soft cider from a local orchard that was very good. 
    Much different than a wine or hard cider marinade.   
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·