Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Brisket in Apple Cider Vinegar?

eggteetheggteeth Posts: 52
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Guy I work with swears that the best brisket he has ever made was done with soaking it in apple cider vinegar for 6-8 hours before rubbing, cooking, etc.  I had his brisket at our FF draft and it was very good.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 19,632
    Acids like those in vinegar and wine can turn meat into a mushy consistancy.  That said, maybe that's not a bad thing if it came out well.

• blasphemy............
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
  • Nola is right. Marinades should be acid and oil, otherwise you will get pulp. Especially for that kind of time. Brisket on the egg can be a beautiful thing without marinade.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I wonder if this was "soft" cider? Soft apple cider (not alcoholic hard cider) can be much less acidic than apple juice, which is between 3 and 4 on the PH scale as I recall, it is a an unpasteurized version of apple juice. Could be way wrong on this but I do recall picking up soft cider from a local orchard that was very good. 
    Much different than a wine or hard cider marinade.   
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter.