Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How many pounds of pork to feed 40 adults?

War_Eagle_2244War_Eagle_2244 Posts: 85
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

I’ll be smoking some butts for my nephew’s birthday party.  I’m planning on 40 adults but it’s probably more like 30-35.  How many pounds of shoulder should I get to feed 40 adults?  I was thinking probably 3 butts at 6-7 pounds each…18-21 pounds total.  Shouldn’t that fit on a large pretty easily?  TIA<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

·

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    I figure 1/2 to 3/4 pound uncooked per person. 21 pounds for up to 40 adults should be fine. Have done three 9 - 10 pounders on a large with no problem. They were stuffed in pretty tight until they shrank, but turned out great. Looks like you are good to go. Let us know how they turn out.
  • Try this:

HOW MUCH MEAT?
    For pulled pork, a typical sandwich (or serving) is 4 oz of cooked meat. For adult males, you might want to plan on 2 sandwiches per person. For women and children, plan on one sandwich per person. The average butt loses about 40% of its weight while cooking. So, to get 6 pounds of cooked pork (24 sandwiches) you would need to start with 10 pounds of butt (2.4 servings per LB of uncooked meat). So a simple little formula is all you need:

Number of men (men or large eaters)= M
    Number of women and children (lighter eaters)= W
    Pounds of Butt to buy = B
    B=(2M+W)/2.4
    So if there 5 men and 5 women,
    B=(2*5+5)/2.4 =15/2.4 = 6.25 Pounds

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,268
    That's some sexist math, man. 
    :))

·
  • I eat more than my wife (drink more too) but she is way fatter than I am.
    ·
  • @probe1957 I hope she doesn't read this forum :-)
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • Pork math.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·