Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ClayQ or anybody else - does beef have a plateau?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_0280.jpg
<p />This are 2 nice chuck roasts totalling 7 pounds. I'm 4.5 hours in to my first pulled beef pursuit to the recipe ClayQ posted back in March. The GURU has kept the temp at a perfect 250 and all seemed to be progressing fine. Then the internal temp hit 149 and hung for 30 minutes and it is now hanging at 150. Does beef plateau the same as pork - but just at a different temp? and for how long? BTW I have the ramp mode turned off and a second wireless is confirming the GURU's reading.[p]
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    RRP,
    it platues at a lower temp than pork. ive seen it do this in the high 130's-145 range. when ive cooked these in the past ive wrapped them at about 170 and cooked them to the low 200's

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    fishlessman, thanks - since I posted the temp has moved to 152. The next stage of the recipe is going into a covered cast iron Dutch oven for 2 hours to take temp up to 215 before pulling and back for a final hour of smoking uncovered. BTW are you headed to the eggfest?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    RRP,
    wish i was, looks like it would be a blast, one of my customers has me working thru the weekends till the end of the month : (

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    RRP,
    Your looking good and right on target!
    Clay

• RRP
    Options
    Clay Q, it has now been 6 hours and the temp is 158. Think I'll move to stage 2 Dutch oven...

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    RRP,
    Your good for stage two. Man, I can almost taste the beef BBQ already! Check your e-mail.
    Clay

• RRP
    Options
    IMG_0282.jpg
    <p />OK - now it's in the Dutch oven along with a diced peeled delicious apple, maple syrup and water. As it turns out my Lodge oven that I've had for 4 years but using for the first time ever today is only an 8 quart so the 7 pounds of roast is a snug fit - yowser the GURU is biting down and has the internal temp up to 165 already! Good eats on the way!!!
  • PeterInSeattle
    Options
    RRP,
    Please post the recipe, or a link to it. Thanks. This looks much too good not to try.

• RRP
    Options
    PeterInSeattle, here you go. Funny that you being in Seattle asking for it because the sauce I'm using in it has a Seattle connection. See this site as well:
    http://biggreenegg.com/archives/2001/messages/70392.htm

[ul][li]Clay's Pulled Beef BBQ[/ul]
  • RRP
    Options
    IMG_0286.jpg
    <p />It got too late for me to post the third stage picture last night so here is the pulled beef going in to the last hour of hickory smoke. Thank you, Clay for your recipe and your help via email! That meal is a keeper!