Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

napkin and oil trick was messy

Options
2»

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    This place saved my butt last week at my in-laws when they were out of firestarters and I needed cook dinner.  My son remembered the paper towel and oil trick.  Worked like a charm.

In keeping with the OP of 3 years ago I thought I would contribute to the repurposing of this thread.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    @fishlessman, McDonalds packets of what??? 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    =)B)=) That sounds like a lot of oil man. I know a guy that uses a milliliter of used oil for ten rolls of recycled paper towels or napkins. Word is he is kind of thrifty.=) =)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    jaydub58 said:

just edited, ketchup shines copper in mere seconds, wipe it on and rinse it off
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    henapple said:
    funny... just got home to fire the egg up and no electricity. no heat gun, torch, cubes. trying the paper towel trick. daddy got to have some wings.

Late payment?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    jaydub58 said:

Ketchup.  The vinegar and salt combination cleans copper. Can be any ketchup.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    That is helpful....now please splan how you get that cup holder to work.....oh never mind.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    For what it's worth, I have used paper towels that I used to season my cast iron. Gets hot fast man...  But for me, I like the little square fire starters. Cheap, always available in a little plastic bin I keep with a lighter. I bought a couple boxes on Amazon of 144 each box. That was two years ago.

i light one in the center and build a little t-pee around the flame with the charcoal. I open a beer, put some tunes on and just enjoy the experience. After about 10 minutes, the starter burns out and the coals take over.i put in the grate, I close the lid (or put plate setter in first if using it) and run it wide open top and bottom vents and wait till it gets up to temp and I start closing things down to regulate and wait for the VOC's to burn off and a clear smoke. This process takes 45-60 minutes and is ready for the food. This is my time away from the outside world, just an hour. It's all I need to recharge. 

So for me, it's not about how fast I can get the meat on, it's about relaxing. Prepping food and cooking is very relaxing for me. It's my golf. I'll spend from lunch to dinner prepping the dinner on the weekends if life permits. When the wife and I have long days at work and come home late and tired, it's not a day to fire up the egg.

But that's just how I roll. Like I said many times, what ever works best for you is the best way to do it. Enjoy the man fire thing and experiment. It's all good...