Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I've bit the bullet but now need some advise..

Options
Squalk62
Squalk62 Posts: 5
edited September 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Hi, I'm brand new to this whole egg phenomenon (at least as an owner of one) but have spent years salvating over BGE videos, forums etc, but now I have only a few weeks before my Large BGE is delivered, I CANT WAIT !!!! To keep costs down ( The egg was €950) I have opted to build my own table from concrete and finish it with tiles etc as I had some building material Ieft over from a small DIY project I completed during the summer . I want to leave the BGE outside all year but I was afraid that a wooden table would be destroyed too quickly by our Irish weather. I have formed the 21" opening,but what size gap is between the egg and the inner diameter of the circle when the base of the BGE is 15" from the table top as shown on most table plans??. Is it possible to have the base closer in distance to the table top and increase the gap size ?? I want to tile the interior face of the circle cut out .. If any one has constructed a similar concrete structure, could you please give me a link to your thread or pictures, I'm looking for finishing ideas. Sorry for sounding so needy on my first post but I really really want to get this right.... I've been 3 years dreaming of having a BGE..

Comments

• bettysnephew
    Options
    If your bottom shelf is a flammable material (wood), you will still need to have a patio block or paver underneath to protect the wood.  If it is also concrete, no problem with that issue. Most table designs seem to allow for the fire protection paver to be added.   However, to get back to the original question about the clearance, I would go ahead and tile it like you want and you could always add or make another concrete spacer to raise the Egg enough to clear your fancy workmanship on the inner ring.  I have an XL. so no help with actual dimensions from me.  Good Luck and BTW Welcome to the Forum.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Squalk62
    Options
    Thanks bettysnephew, the fact I can add a spacer to adjust the gap is perfect, so i'm going to continue as planned .I'll post pics on the forum when complete