Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First Shot at Spares

pileit1971pileit1971 Posts: 71
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well here I dive in with my first attempt at Spares...

3 Racks of Swift Premium St Louis Style from Costco...already trimmed (saw other comments on another thread about this brand)

Rub w light mustard in fridge for about 4 hours...fired up egg, had a two layer set up that I put together myself, desperately waiting for my R & B AR combo to come today, no dice before start time, so went on about 1pm

Of course AR Rig came about 1/2 hour ago, so I washed it down and set it up and transferred the ribs onto that... Bad mistake to do that mid cook??? Seemed ends were getting cooked much quicker so thought it would be okay..

Dome temp has been between 250-300, been chasing it a little bit, guess its normal to do that, planning on eating around 6:30 and trying to best gauge the right temp, thinking I am on the right temp....thoughts...

More pics to follow... Planning on foiling about 4:30 after about 3 hours and then foiled for about 1.5 then sauced...

Plus the AR rig is great, but think I am going something wrong, seems that dome is tight to close with BGE grid on the rib extender on the top, not sure what I am doing wrong, will have to talk to Tom later, any ideas on what it looks like in the picture, I removed the temp probe clamp to the outside on Tom's recommendation with the rib extender on it..

IMG_0026.JPG
640 x 480 - 136K
IMG_0027.JPG
640 x 480 - 145K
IMG_0028.JPG
640 x 480 - 133K
IMG_0029.JPG
640 x 480 - 148K

Comments

• Bumm39Bumm39 Posts: 52
    edited September 2012
    I always put a glass casserole dish with Apple juice, Bourbon, and a little apple cider vinegar on top of place setter. but looks great, good luck
  • The sweet taste of success...Ribs were almost perfect, ends were falling off the bone and the middle ribs were perfect, still on bone, but can eat them clean..

ABTs were gone within minutes...just simple cream cheese, sausage, seasoning, onion, & garlic

Bacon Wrapped BBQ Scallops...
    IMG_0026.JPG
    640 x 480 - 160K
    IMG_0027.JPG
    640 x 480 - 103K
    IMG_0028.JPG
    640 x 480 - 101K
    IMG_0029.JPG
    640 x 480 - 133K
    IMG_0030.jpg
    480 x 640 - 108K