Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pork Belly Help

The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 15,121
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
For some reason I bought some sliced, uncured pork belly yesterday. Wasn't thinking clearly and thought I would make some bacon. Before It was even wrapped I realized that ship had sailed one it was sliced but figured for $8 I could find something fun to do with it. I'll probably sous vide some of it and sear it with some type of soy reduction to do an asian thing. Any other ideas?
Keeping it Weird in the ATX
2 Large BGE
1 MiniMax BGE
1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling

Comments

• How thick are the slices? A lot of the south Americans use it uncured. They just deep fry it...... They call it bacon, but it is uncured.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• ccpoulin1 said:
    How thick are the slices? A lot of the south Americans use it uncured. They just deep fry it...... They call it bacon, but it is uncured.
    Bacon thick
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • I have never thought of anything to do with uncured sliced pork belly. Let me know what you end up doing, I am curious.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 22,130
    edited September 2012
    It's cut bacon thin - perfect for using like bacon for wrapping.  You can add any kind of spice/salt/rub.  I'd par boil it and wrap around filet with a salt and course ground pepper rub.  Or, maybe add some crushed juniper berries and use kinda like pancetta wrapped around jalapanos or some kind of grilled vegetable like asparagus.  You could always add a little sweetness and make it taste similar to bacon.  It'll have a different texture, but that could be good.

• I have some meat glue (transglutiminase) so I think I'll Meat glue a few slices together so its like 1/4-1/2" thick i'll
    Cut that in like 1x1 squares and sous vide for a day or 2 and then try a few different things from there. I'll keep you posted.
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • Google Korean pork belly. This one looks interesting  http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/samgyeopsal-gui  Little chef, gave me a recipe, but for the life of me I can't find it.  If I do I will send it to you.  Where did you purchase the belly?
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
  • Google Korean pork belly. This one looks interesting  http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/samgyeopsal-gui  Little chef, gave me a recipe, but for the life of me I can't find it.  If I do I will send it to you.  Where did you purchase the belly?
    I was thinking something along those lines. I got it at Whole foods at the Arboretum
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE

• Cool. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for digging it up for me
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE