Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Firsts in One Day

lecrams
lecrams Posts: 116
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing my first spatchcock chicken tonight. Right about the time the egg cools off, I'm doing my 1st overnight pork butt cook. I have always done turbo butts, but recently bought a bbq guru. So I decided I would do an ovrnighter for Saturday's lunch. Any recs on temp? Also, my wife bought 2 5.5# butts instead of 1 10#. Is the 2 hours per pound based on total weight or the weight of the largest butt? My biggest fear is to wake up at 6:30 to an internal of 300!

Comments

• Whatever you do, don't cook by time, cook by meat temp.  That being said, you want to keep an eye on the smallest butt.  You can TFC that while the larger butt finishes up.  If you gear toward the largest butt (ie cook according to the largest butt's temp), then the smallest will get overdone.  When estimating cook time, I generally go with about 1.5 hours per pound.  If you had 1 butt  weighing 10#, then you would figure about 15 hours.  But you have 2 butts with a total weight of 11#.  I would figure about 1.5 to 2 hours/# of the smallest.  The little extra time would account for the larger mass of meat, but keep an eye on it.  Then finish the larger if not done.  I hope this helps!  Have fun with it! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I do boston butts at 220 at the meat level with great success.  I usually do 8 to 9 pound butts 2 or 4 at a time and they have always taken 18 to 22 hours until ready to FTC.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited September 2012

+ 1 on what Goggles Pizano said. ;)  Maybe rotate the grate once or twice during the cook to even out any hot spots. I've had butts that were similar in size where one finished hours before the other. Every piece of meat can be different, just cook to temperature.

BTW what is your dome temperature? I am thinking me and Fred are assuming you are somewhere in the 250 dome range.

;)
  • Whatever you do, don't cook by time, cook by meat temp.  That being said, you want to keep an eye on the smallest butt.  You can TFC that while the larger butt finishes up.  If you gear toward the largest butt (ie cook according to the largest butt's temp), then the smallest will get overdone.  When estimating cook time, I generally go with about 1.5 hours per pound.  If you had 1 butt  weighing 10#, then you would figure about 15 hours.  But you have 2 butts with a total weight of 11#.  I would figure about 1.5 to 2 hours/# of the smallest.  The little extra time would account for the larger mass of meat, but keep an eye on it.  Then finish the larger if not done.  I hope this helps!  Have fun with it! 

+ 1 on what Goggles Pizano said. ;)  Maybe rotate the grate once or twice during the cook to even out any hot spots. I've had butts that were similar in size where one finished hours before the other. Every piece of meat can be different, just cook to temperature.

BTW what is your dome temperature? I am thinking me and Fred are assuming you are somewhere in the 250 dome range.

;)
    You're right Joe.  I forgot to mention I go at 250.  I find that temp works pretty good.  Just for grins, I have thought about going in the 220 range to compare the results.  However, I enjoy what I get at 250.
    Flint, Michigan