Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What size pizza stone in a medium Egg

timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 151
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am wondering what size pizza stone (if you use one vs. the plate-setter) are people using in their medium Egg.
Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
·

Comments

• This is the one I use for my Med. 

Pizza / Baking Stone – BSM
    (Diameter 12″ / 30.5 cm, fits the XLarge, Large, Medium and Small EGGs)

Nice stone But this user needs some work to get the Pizza right :)
    ·
  • I'm using the one from BGE.  I wanted to use the Primo stone as it's 1" wider in diameter (13 inches), but they do not warranty it.  So I went with the 12" BGE stone. 
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,048
    miscjames said:
    This is the one I use for my Med. 

Pizza / Baking Stone – BSM
    (Diameter 12″ / 30.5 cm, fits the XLarge, Large, Medium and Small EGGs)

Nice stone But this user needs some work to get the Pizza right :)
    + 1. I looked at other brands of stones that were 12", but none of them had the thickness of the BGE stone. 
    ·

From tonight's pizza cook on my 14" BGE stone...

more:

·
  • A 13" stone is ideal for the medium, IMHO. it is my understanding that a minimum of 1" around the edge of the stone is required to maintain airflow. The MBGE is just under 16" at the felt line so a 14" stone would fit. The trending advice is to get the pie above the felt line by 2 or 3 inches, so a 13" or 13-1/2" is ideal, providing the most flexibility.
    I use a 13", bought at Kitchen Collection for $9.99 and it has cooked well over 40 pies. it is not as thick as the BGE stone but it works. I do use it sitting right on the plate setter, legs down, providing a thermal mass much like the thicker stones. I have tried raising the stone above the felt line, but found the best results at the felt line (at least for the way I make pizza).
    Dome temp is anywhere between 475-575, with around 525 the target. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·