Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Torched Gasket on New XL BGE

Tango2
Tango2 Posts: 34
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

So after cooking 10 pizzas on my new egg, my gasket is pretty torched.  Just curious if this is something that is warrantied and what is required to get a new gasket.  I heard that they started using new gaskets and there was no longer a high-temp gasket offered.  I'm not sure if mine was one of the new gaskets or not, but it didn't take too much to burn it pretty bad.

On another note, my is just slightly offset to the back of the base (it needs to come forward a little).  I've checked the oblong holes in the hinge mounts on the top, but the top is all the way forward.  Is there any other adjustment I'm missing to better align the top?

Thanks!

NoVA

Comments

• Email or call the mother ship and they will send you another gasket for free.  You can adjust the alinement of the top and bottom after you put on the new gasket.  
  • Thanks for the quick reply.  I'll do that today.

NoVA
  • I did the same on my XL, it was shot after the first few pizzas. Mine has the same alignment problem, looks like an underbite from the front. I had to do that because I found out my top is out-of-round. When putting it together the alignment was impossible to correct. If your is the same, and you can't get it adjusted, don't kill yourself, it might be impossible.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • I must have the best dealer in the world, they look after me for warranty gasket replacement, get it he same day if I drive by the store. 
    Why would you contact the very good folks at head office, Mothership, if you can get great service and maintain the relationship with your dealer? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I must have the best dealer in the world, they look after me for warranty gasket replacement, get it he same day if I drive by the store. 
    Why would you contact the very good folks at head office, Mothership, if you can get great service and maintain the relationship with your dealer? 
    I had a great dealer also.  Put my BGE together, did the alignment, offered to deliver it, any problems just run by the store and they replaced it right there.  Really great service, until they went out of business.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    I got my LBGE in July and also toasted the gasket with my first pizza cook. This is quite common I've learned. An email to the mother ship resulted in my new high temp gasket arriving in short order just as yellowdog says. Not yet installed but I'm hoping it will do the trick. I wonder why they don't just put a high temp gasket to begin with. Everyone will eventually cook pizzas or steaks at high temperatures.

LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • Mine fried also. This is such a common problem and shows up on the forums every few weeks. Calling BGE will give you the best result. I emailed first and didn't get a call. I called and left a message and received a call back within a few hours. They are great to work with. I'm actually on my 3rd gasket in a year. The Nomex that BGE sent me was holding up great. Unfortunately, the glue did not hold and part of the gasket ended up inside of the egg during a higher temp cook. The gasket survived, but I wasn't able to restretch it to glue it back on. I bought another nomex and it is doing just fine.

Mark Annville, PA