Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Am I making the right decision? Please help!

shoresdivershoresdiver Posts: 3
edited September 2012 in Pre-Sale Questions
I am a long time propane griller in Florida, who saw an XL BGE at a friend's house, and was amazed at the quality of food he was able to turn out!  I am seriously considering buying one, but need your expert help.  Due to financial and space constraints, if I buy a BGE, it will have to be the only grill I own.  Additionally, living in Miami, theft is a real problem, so the BGE would need to be stored in my garage, and therefore will need to be on a nest and wheeled in and out every evening.

Q#1 - 
Is there anything you would not cook on a BGE?  I.e., do most or all of you also own another propane or charcoal grill?

Q#2 - 
Is there any problem with shutting the vents for 15-20 minutes, and then wheeling the egg into a garage?  Do the coals go out in that amount of time?  I really do not want to experiment with CO poisoning....  Also, the info on the egg says the outside stays "cooler".  Is it still to hot to move after 20 minutes?

Q#3 - 
Is there any problem with wheeling the egg around in the nest?  Does it move easily?  Am I likely to do it damage if I am wheeling it around almost daily?

I have read all of the good comments about BGEs!  I just want to make sure that if I buy one, I will not be thinking I made a mistake a month later -- I will have to live with this decision for about ten years.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!
Lg BGE

Compromise is the best and cheapest lawyer -- R.L. Stevenson  

Comments

• 733102243733102243 Posts: 38
    edited September 2012

(Disclaimer - I'm in the same situation as you. Doing due dilligence before purchase so, in the time-honored tradition of the blind leading the blind here goes:)

Seems that this forum isn't well monitored. I have some of the same questions that you do. From what I've gleaned here and elsewhere:

Addressing # 3 first:

1  rolling the Egg should always be done by pulling it rather than pushing.

2 there is something called The Nest Handler that makes moving it easier. It's on my list of must haves. Additionally, the casters are apparently available in 3" and 4". The larger caster is more forgiving of pebbles and other irregularities than smaller ones

As for your question #2 - I would not take any chances with CO2 or the danger of setting fire to your garage. Not sure how long it takes for the coals to fully extinguish but embers can lay dormant for a long time. Hopefully someone will address this.

You might also visit these other forums:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm - This site is really informative - I've found more information that related to my needs at nakedwhiz than anywhere else.

AND

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php  Q-talk is probably the forum in which to ask. There are a lot of Egg users there too.

So - good luck on your purchase. I'm taking my time. I've been looking at smokers for several years. Had my heart set on a big heavy offset smoker until I saw the Egg being used in a competition on one of the food channels. I also realized that since I live very close to the ocean, steel would require extra maintenance creating an ongoing battle which the salt air would eventually win; second, I don't have space for the kind of offset cooker that I would like (but it's a great excuse to buy a pickup truck) and third, that such a smoker is complete overkill for my current needs (slow cooking pork ribs, shoulders and grilling the occasional tri-tip). Maybe when I'm ready to cook whole hogs. :-)

Also - there are probably other forums - Google is your friend!

• R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,521
    Here's my opinion on your questions:

Q#1 - 
    Is there anything you would not cook on a BGE?  I.e., do most or all of you also own another propane or charcoal grill?

I honestly can't think of anything I wouldn't cook on an Egg.  If it will fit one of my Eggs I have no issue cooking it on the Egg.  I also own a natural gas grill (goes almost entirely unused), and several other charcoal cookers (drum smoker, Weber Smokey Mountain, gravity feed cabinet smoker, Hasty Bake, kettles, etc...) and without a doubt the Eggs are the most versatile and my favorite.

Q#2 - 
    Is there any problem with shutting the vents for 15-20 minutes, and then wheeling the egg into a garage?  Do the coals go out in that amount of time?  I really do not want to experiment with CO poisoning....  Also, the info on the egg says the outside stays "cooler".  Is it still to hot to move after 20 minutes?

I wheel my Small Egg into the garage after cooks but typically wait at least 90 minutes after cooking before I do so.  I worry less about the exterior heat than the CO.  Some folks keep a steel pail with a tight lid nearby and if they're in a hurry to transport their Egg they put on welding gloves and something to scoop out the lump and put it into the pail and cover with the lid.  The Egg can cool down much quicker without the lump and even faster if you go the extra step and remove the fire ring and firebox and leave the lid open to cool. 

Q#3 - 
    Is there any problem with wheeling the egg around in the nest?  Does it move easily?  Am I likely to do it damage if I am wheeling it around almost daily?

Don't have much to add to this that 733102243 didn't already say.  No problem wheeling it around.  Would suggest checking nuts & bolts periodically for tightness.  I had issues with the nut on the bottom center where the bars cross in an "+" loosen up but some threadlocker has solved that for me.  The nest (and nest handler) work great on smooth ground.  The handler helps for a little rougher terrain as well.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
  • 733102243733102243 Posts: 38
    edited September 2012

Thanks for the info about the coals. I will  keep mine outside but, with a cover. I don't want to repeat a friend's 'cover disaster'. He put the cover back on his gas grill when one of the burners was on low. It takes a long time to remove a melted cover. :-)

Any thoughts about rust prevention? We live on a hill about 3 blocks from the ocean. Great view but, the salt air is a constant battle with any metal, painted surface etc.

My guess is that the nest, handles etc. can be waxed with the same wax I use for the cars but, the hotter areas?

• Thanks for the help!  Since posting, I have gone ahead and decided to buy a large BGE, and am in the process of constructing a table based somewhat on the plans listed on the nakedwhiz website.  Suffice it to say I have learned a lot about wood working (particularly using a jigsaw...) but hope to have the table done by the end of the week.  I will post pictures once it is finished.

I, too, live not far from the ocean, and therefore deterioration of just about everything wood and metal is an issue.  I am putting 3+ coats of spar varnish on all surfaces of the table in the hopes that it will survive for at least several years.

I look forward to being a true member of this forum once the Egg arrives!
    Lg BGE

Compromise is the best and cheapest lawyer -- R.L. Stevenson