Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Spare Rib HELP

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I’ve had bad luck with my ribs. I think b/c I had problems keeping a temp. of 200 – 250 degrees in the past. Now that I got that figured out, I’m ready to take another crack at it.[p]I’m from South Louisiana now living in Atlanta. I can boil you seafood like nobody’s business, but I’m just learning about BBQ (low and slow). In the past, the ribs went on the BGE naked (at around 350 – 375) then I added sauce at the end. This was good but not FALLING OFF THE BONE. Hopefully, my new found mastery of the temp. will fix that problem. [p]Here’s the thing, what’s the deal with rubs?
1. If I use a rub, will the ribs come out with a hard crust? Will it be more about the rub than the rib?
2. I see many rubs reference plain yellow mustard. Is this used just to keep the rub on the ribs (while imparting a bit of flavor)?
3. I’ve decided to use “Dizzy Pig Rub” (where do you buy that?) or “Nature Boy’s” rub … any thoughts on these two?
4. Can someone point me to a definitive pork spare rib recipe or method of cooking? (I’ve scoured the internet and this forum but come up with a hodgepodge of stuff)[p]Thanks in advance for any insight.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    T-Boy,[p]1.Rub : depends on the rub. Some are more overpowering than others. Do a search fro BRITU (best ribs in the universe) and use that as a starting point. Just note that the rub calls for a lot of salt. Way to much, I think. Try cutting it in half.[p]2. Mustard : It doesn't impart any flavor that I can tell. It just helps hold the rub on. I could never tell the difference betwixt smoked items (ribs or not) that had the mustard applied, so I don't bother with it anymore.[p]3. Dizzy Pig vs. Nature Dewd : Nature Dewd is one of the dewds who Makes Dizzy Pig... You can get rubs from them at the website (do a search for it).[p]4. Method : It all depends on what you are looking for and what your time frame is. I smoke my spares (cut to St. Louis style) for about 6 - 7 hours at 225° and they come out great. You mentioned that you want fall off of the bone. To get that you either need to cook them longer or to consider using foil at some point. By using foil you will be creating a steam effect that will tenderize them quite a bit. Search this site for 3-2-1 ribs or 3-1-1 ribs and you should be on your way.[p]brews,
    Matt.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    T-Boy,[p]I agree with South O's post, great information. I wanted to add that I smoke my ribs indirect, not direct. He didnt mention that, not sure how he cooks his but that long over an open fire tends to dry out the ribs IMHO.[p]I've experimented with a mustart rub quite a bit and have come to the conclusion that it doesnt do much other than hold the rub onto the meat. Give it a shot if you want, make your own decision, but I dont think it adds much to the final product.[p]I've never used Dizzy Pig (Nature Boy) rubs but have heard awesome things about them. He wins contests with them so they must be doing something right. Its gotta' be the rubs cause we all know NB's cooking abilities are questionable at BEST (hehehe, hope he sees this).[p]Anyway, hope this helps. Give it a shot and good luck. I would caution you that if you look at the ribs during the cook, it will LOOK like they are drying out something aweful. Close the lid, ignore them, and ive them time, the fat will start to render and they will moisten up again. It takes TIME, let them do their thing. Spares will take a good 5-6 hours at 250 or so. Be patient.[p]Troy
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yo sprinter,[p]Yup, I done forgot to mention that I do mine ribs indirect as well. Also good advice on the leave them alone aspect. No peaking and them dead pig parts.[p]I also forgot to mention that when I think that the ribs be getting close to finished that I put a light sauce on them and them let them finish up. Usually about 30 - 45 minutes before they are pulled. Just as long as the sugars don't burn.[p]Now that I think about it, we didn't mentioned pulling the membrane off of the back of the ribs. That really needs to be done, IMHO to ensure that the ribs can get as tender as they can.[p]Brews,
    Matt.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    South O,[p]Man, thinking about what we actually TOLD him vs. what we FORGOT to tell him, did we do any good at all? Just kidding. Its amazing how many LITTLE details go into making good product. There are folks I know who have forgotten more about good BBQ than I'll ever know. I just keep pluggin' away and enjoying the fruits (or dead pig parts as you say) of the labor.[p]Have a great weekend. I'm looking forward to NEXT weekend, Carmel, IN contest. Nice break from work and get a chance to sip a few barley pops with some good friends. THIS weekend is work in that next weekend is play. Gotta keep the missus happy, cause if she aint happy.......[p]Troy[p]Troy
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for the info. I'm cooking for a group of 6 friends tomorrow and I think I have a better feel for the whole rib thing. I'll post pics on Saturday/Sunday of the ribs.
  • Unknown
    Options
    sprinter,
    Good luck next weekend at Carmel![p]Matt.

• Unknown
    Options
    Yo T-boy,
    Outstanding! Good luck with them thar dead pig parts.[p]Unless them dead pig parts is for politicians or in-laws or other such undesirable folks...[p]Have a nice weekend,
    Matt.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    cdd638b1.jpg
    <p />T-Boy,[p]There are many rib techniques out there.....I pull the membrane, season with rub, coat with yellow mustard, then add more rub. I then wrap in plastic and fridge 'em overnight. Using apple or cherry wood & barbecue temps at the grate, (220° to 250°), I cook for around 4 hours, wrap in foil with a little apple juice and back in the Egg for another hour, then out of the foil and back on the Egg until the crust or bark is set. I serve with sauce at the table.[p]~thirdeye~[p]This is from the online BGE cookbook by Bill Wise:[p]Nature Boy's Rib Rub
    Submitted by Nature Boy (Chris Capell)
    This is a rub I developed for ribs, but have been using it on chicken and fish as well. It has a
    fresh zing to it from the ginger and the lemony flavor of the coriander seeds, and plenty of
    pepper.
    Ingredients:
    • ½ Cup Turbinado Sugar (or Brown sugar
    • 1 TBS Black Peppercorns
    • 1/3 Cup Kosher Salt
    • 1 TBS Green Peppercorns
    • 2 TBS Hungarian Paprika
    • 1 TBS Celery Seed
    • 2 TBS Onion Powder (I use Penzey's Toasted
    • 1 tsp Ground Chipotle (or more to taste
    • 1 TBS Ginger Powder (I use Penzey's China Cracked Ginger and grind myself
    • 1 tsp Rubbed Sage
    • 1 TBS Brown mustard seeds (optionally yellow
    • 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional
    • 1 TBS Curry Powder
    • 1 TBS Coriander
    Preparation Directions:
    • Grind peppercorns, coriander seeds and cracked ginger. Blend all ingredients together.[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery